Pennsylvania Homesteading

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mary in Minnesota, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Mary in Minnesota

Mary in Minnesota Now in NY

Anybody here from northern Pennsylvania? Can you recommend any good areas for homesteading/small farming? What is the average per acre price of wooded land, or old farms? How much are your property taxes (lower than New York, I expect)?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

2. beowoulf90

beowoulf90 Well-Known Member Supporter

I can't help with northern PA, but can tell you about southern PA. The property taxes are climbing along with every other tax. We used to have a $10 priviledge to work tax, but they changed the name and now it is called the Emergency Services Tax and will cost $52. Ed "slot ****" Rendell just keeps raising them.. Also one of our state senators from "filthadelphia" has just introduce a bill that will raise the Real Estate Transfer tax by a half a mill. This means that the buyer of $100,000 property will pay approx $750 MORE than before, but this isn't final yet. I'm about ready to sell our little property and go where the taxes are more reasonable. This state dosen't seem to think we have a right to our own money, remember they know how to take care of us then we do.....

Taxation is UnAmerican

Sorry for the rant, but check the local community that you are considering to by in because there are so many different taxes that some of us have and some don't.

Good luck on your search

3. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

I have 140 a in St Lawrence county NY . House needs work barn is probally helpless at this point. My taxes are 1500.00 a year. I will be selling soon. I have a few offers on it already. 1/2 field 1/2 woods small stream goes threw it. House has new windows, insulation and roof. If interested email me . Patty

4. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

We live on a 140 acre farm and our taxes are probably $1600.00 / year. I would expect that wooded land you could get for $1000.00 / acre and up. I live in North-West PA and would be happy to help you hunt for a place if you email details of what you are looking for.

5. JessicaCat

JessicaCat Well-Known Member

I live in SW PA and only on a lot of 50 x 140. Our taxes were $326 a year and from what I heard, Indiana County is raising its property taxes $10 for every $1000 your house is worth, which means my taxes are doubling this year. Glad Im moving. Plus, this Occupational Tax thing that was noted above, Im a bookkeeper and had to find out about it. The regular $10 Occupational Privilege Tax is the same, this other Occupational Tax is something different and will have to pay to the town. I work in Punxsutawney and was told we are going to have to pay $60 per person.

Ugh....too many city people moving in.

6. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

I'm in SWPA too... my taxes are low becaus emy houses are half house 1/2 mobile homes with a bunch of additions on them with house roofs to make them look nice.
    they had a debate of wether to tax them as MH's, "dwellings" (whatever the F that is) or a houses. they gave up and went for MH status.
    good for my taxes, bad for my property value. Cant have everyting right?

building restrictions in most civilized towns are unworkable, the new building codes for washington county are mind numbingly strict.
    ther is a 150 acre dairy farm right down the road for sale... not sure what they want but its a nice place.

7. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Mary, why in the world would you leave the great State of Minnesota for an eastern state. Heck, there are more people out east! Why Pennsylvania is almost New York City for dern sakes! Please come to your senses!

8. Mary in Minnesota

Mary in Minnesota Now in NY

Hey, thanks for the replies. Patty, I have some questions for you about your property. I tried to PM you and it said your message box is too full, no luck with emailing either. Michael, thanks very much for the offer, after I narrow my search a bit I might email you. Cabin, yeah, I know, my husband and I love northern MN, but my family is back east.