Penicillin???

Discussion in 'Goats' started by farmmaid, Dec 14, 2004.

1. farmmaid

farmmaid Well-Known Member Supporter

Our junior buck seens to have a runny nose and is stuffy. He is 11 months old and is 130#'s. How much penicillin to give him, how, how often and for how long?????...Joan THANKS

2. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Might want to do this. Take your favorite goat book, mine is Goat Medicine, and write down instructions on meds, wormings etc., into the front and back blank pages, this way all your information stays in one place.

Any 300,000 unit penicillin is dosed at 3cc per 50 pounds, given under the skin, once a day in a goat used profilactically, say you have a wound you do not want to get infected, or a doe with a very difficult dirty birth. Give twice a day to a goat who is ill, high temp, wound is infected, uterine infections.

But I would not give a snotty nose any more care than wiping it and upping their immune response with Echinacea or/and Vitamin C. Only if I hear wheezing in the lungs, or there is a temp increase would I use....tetracycline. And I use biomyacin or any other tetracycline other than LA200, which stings. All tetracyclines that are 200mg are the same as LA200, can be used under the skin once a day at 3 to 4.5cc daily per 100 pounds for 4 or 5 days.

If this is a valuable animal than I would use Naxcel, along with Banamine to keep the fever down, and it has this nice way of keeping swelling in the lungs at bay, which causes scar tissue. When you treat pnemonia you need to treat it aggressively, why I wait until I know what I am dealing with (not just a snotty nose) before I pull out the big guns. I will even use a steriod like Dex. Like mastitis, the end result of not treating pnemonia aggressively (like mastitis, if the end result is a cured udder that is ruined, lopsided, full of scar tissue, than it was not a success in my eyes) you will end up with a doe who although is well, is walking around panting, mouth breathing when it's hot at all or she is over exhurted...not a good outcome for me.

Also know why this is happening. Is your barn damp? Does she have dry bedding in an out of the wind area to lay in all night? Are the other goats keeping her outside all the time. Not that being out is going to cause this, but the stress of the cold/wind/being damp, is that the natural bacteria in her nose that is found all the time, pasturella...overgrows from the stress (exactly like worms and cocci do or entertoxemia in the gut) and you have pnemonia.

Excellent nursing is all that you can do at this point, and watching her like a hawk. Get lactated ringers and always have it on hand, either as an IV setup to use under the skin, or in the big bottle that you syringe under the skin. If her temp goes up and she is not readily drinking water, than once she becomes dehydrated she will simply die. Everyone should keep lactated ringers on hand, because you can not get them well if they are dehydrated. Vicki

3. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I know this sounds dumb but....I buy juice or give leftover juice in my goats water....100% juice...they like orange, grape and apple. One 12oz froz. concentrate to 3 gal water. The juices are all vit. c fortified and they drink up in a hurry....about once a week...childrens chewable vitamins once a week, more if they are with runny nose (which I rarely get).