Penelope is not eating today!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Spinner, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

She usually takes 20 ounces of milk every morning. This morning she only took about 4 ounces.

I gave her a CD/T shot yesterday afternoon. Could that have something to do with it? She ate fine last night.

I'm really worried about her not eating. She's acting normal in every other way. Just not interested in eating this morning.

She bouncing around playing as usual. No other signs that I can see.

Any ideas? Does this mean she's eating green food so she doesn't want as much milk?

2. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

How old is she? What other forms of feed is she being offered and how often? Have you seen her chew cud yet? Could be just an off day - make sure to keep an eye on her for tonight's feeding. Even my older kids always drank their milk down, regardless of what else they were offered - they don't wean until I make them wean! :) But every now and then one would have an off-day here and there and not each mucha t one or two feedings.

Are you offering baking soda, too? Could be she got into something or the weather has prompted other things in her rumen and she needs a little help to settle it down before she eats properly again.

Sarah

3. wardarden

wardarden Well-Known Member

Do you have any probios gel or paste or powder that you could mix in her milk bottle next feeding? This would probably help if her stomach is a little upset.

4. Spinner

She's about 6 weeks old. She finally took the bottle. It was noon before she took it. I did notice a few bites out of the green weeds in her pen so maybe she is starting to eat solid food. I keep a little pan of goat food in her little house for her. She hasn't been eating it yet. It's Dumor goat feed that claims to be 100% nutrition for show goats.

5. boermommy

boermommy Boer goats and teenagers

I've been following Penelope's story since you found her.

How is she today? Bouncing back, I hope.

6. Spinner

Yes she's bouncing around like normal and eating good. I guess she just wasn't hungry that one time. That's the only bottle she refused before or since.

I'm now looking for another baby doe to keep her company. She wants to run with the big goats, but my yearling doe head butts her. I'm afraid she would get hurt by the yearling doe, so she is still in her own pen with a community fence between them. I'm thinking about cutting a small hole for her so she can run back and forth, but haven't done it cause I'm afraid the older doe might be able to get thru and Penelope would loose her safe area.