pencil mark removal

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sparticle, Jul 4, 2006.

1. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

my ex-husband, when he rented the back room, drew a rather large mural on the wall in pencil. I got the super professional cleaner and that took off a layer. Then I used comet and a toothbrush and a few new muscles later have gotten most of it off. However, there's still just a HINT of it on the wall. I really don't want to paint that room. Any other ideas? I did the Comet twice. First I let it sit 1 minute and scrubbed. Then when that didn't get it all off, I made a pretty thick paste and really gobbed it on there and scrubbed hard and left it for a while. then came back and scrubbed it again. Think 3rd times a charm or should I try something else. This was THICK DARK pencil marks.

2. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Painting would have been less work than what you have already done! :)

3. jeannie242

jeannie242 Well-Known Member

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser !! They do wonders.
    Good luck.

4. Sparticle

Bahaha, probably! But it's a real nice textured white panelling and I think paint will make it look weird. I may end up having to do that if that Mr. Clean majic erasure doesn't work. I just knew comet was going to do the trick, oh well.

5. celina

celina Well-Known Member

mr clean magic eraser works real well..seriously..i have a 2 yr old who thinks he's picasso...my mil swears by VIM..dont know if its available in the states though

6. wr

wr Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I think I'd be forced to thank my lucky stars that this specimen were my ex and I would likely try the magic eraser. Failing that I would look as some less abrasive cleaners than you're using because a person tends to use extra pressure directly on the mark and you change the color of the area you're trying to clean. You may also have luck with one of the better laundry presoak agents and I like the oxy cleaners for hard to handle marks.

7. Judy in IN

Judy in IN Well-Known Member Supporter

Greased Lightning does wonders with pencil on walls. It's available at Lowe's, Dollar General and I think I saw it at Kroger's the other day!

8. reese

reese Well-Known Member

"GetSerious!" works WONDERS on all kinds of "art" on walls, and carpet things. I get it at my local pet store in the "pet cleaning up after" supplies. A little effort goes a long way with this and it's non-toxic. reese

http://www.getseriousproducts.com/

9. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you tried art gum? or the best artist erasers there are?

Hey, I didn't know you were a woman! Well, I guess I shouldn't assume that ex-husband means you are a woman.

10. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

Vim is about he same as Comet (powder) here.

11. Sparticle

Yeah I'm a woman. I just removed my avatar this last week and it was a picture of me. I just got sick of looking at it. I did try those good art erasers and got most of it off. Then comet got some off. but there is still a hint of it there.

12. Sparticle

The drawing on the wall was the least of what he did. He also thought it would be cool to push BB's into the wall. Taking out the last bit of furniture this morning, found a drug pipe under the shelf. But he's in jail now, hopefully for a long time.

13. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Have you tried just plain old bleach?

14. Sparticle

Well Comet has bleach in it.

15. Northumberland

Northumberland Well-Known Member

Try Barkeepers Friend, a powder like Comet but it seems to clean anything - my new favourite cleaner.

16. Sparticle

Never heard of it. where would you buy it and please say somewhere other than Wal-Mart. :)

17. Northumberland

Northumberland Well-Known Member

Would never say WalMart, I never darken their doorstep. It's not available here in Canada but I find it in the big grocery stores in the States. If you can't find it let me know and I will send you some from my container.

18. Sparticle

I've said so many bad things about wal-mart I'm afraid if I walk through their doors I will spontaneouly combust. :rolleyes: Although once when camping out of state on the ground for 3 days in below freezing weather, and no other stores had something to sleep on, I DID go to wal-mart and bought a $7 lawn chair and I actually did not catch on fire :shrug: although it was so cold I was kind of hoping I would.

I will look at thank you all.

19. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

Yes Comet has a small amount of bleach. Try wiping the stain with straight bleach and leave it sit for awhile (15/20 minutes) then rinse with clear water and see if that doesn't work. Less elbow grease and the bleach does all the work for you. But hey, it's your walls and your elbow grease, so do it your way.

Most major big box stores (Menards, Home Depot, Ace, etc.) should carry Barkeep in the cleaning section, another elbow grease product.

20. Sparticle

I hadn't thought about the amount of bleach in Comet. I guess I thougth bleach was bleach. It's good to learn. That does sound pretty easy. I'll try that tonight. Less elbow grease is good.