Pemphigus Foliaceus

Discussion in 'Goats' started by smreedy, Mar 17, 2005.

1. smreedy

smreedy New Member

I wrote a few days back regarding the dry raised cracked skin on my does face- we had sent a skin sample to the UW-Madison Vet School- they came up with Pemphigus Foliaceus as a possible cause- its an autoimune problem that can be treated with steriods- as she is still pregnant- we can not administer steriods- has anyone else run across this condition- any other treatment possibilities. We are just putting Dr. Naylers on the area to try to keep her as comfortable as possible. Thanks for any help- Susan

2. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Wow.

The only auto-immune problems I've dealt with are in humans (I was a dietician for a couple of years). Those are almost always treated with steroids - cortisone and prednisone most commonly.

How valuable is this doe, and is the problem genetic?

3. smreedy

smreedy New Member

She's older (eight years) and pretty important to us. It doesnt appear to be genetic- its seemed to come on after a pasture move in the fall before breeding season- so, I thought it was a reaction to something in her environment- but, nothing has helped to clear it up- so, we sent the skin sample in- because we were just out of ideas on our own. The vets said that there is no sure test for this condition- but, that it was their best guess- based on the sample. I'm just trying to learn all I can. Thanks for your input! Susan

4. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

On the dairy goat forum a friend of mine and I both had this before on our does. We both opted to bolster the does immune systems with ID-1, it is a colostrum based product, Hoeggers also sells one that is a blood based product. Warning...you can not find out any information on either of these products on what testing are ran on the animals these products are taken from. So weigh the risks also. In my case the doe was older, she was of no value looking like she did, and I couldn't show her. With chlorhexiderm (it's cheap, a blue liquid you purchase from the vet) washes, and then slathering the sites (dewclaws in our case) with nolvasan (purchase at big feed stores or jefferslivestock.com) the same thing as chlorhexiderm but like a yellow vaseline. We also did a round of Dexamenthazone, which you won't be able to do until after she kids, given full strength for 3 days, 1/2 strength for 3 days. My doe cleared, never to have it again. Our doe 'caught' this from the stress of the move at 6 years old from her orignal home, living previously up north, moving during August, in milk, to the hot south.

As a side note I did start her on Lysign injections for staph, my vet thought that this was underlying staph related. Like shingles, the body goes crazy and overgrows skin in layers without sloughing off the bottem layers in phemphigus, but my vet thought the underlying cause was staph. She did clear after her second shot in 21 days...but she also was on steriods and the washes.....soo we don't really know which it was. But vaccinating does stimulate their immunity, so perhaps this helped. Vicki