Pelletizing own feed

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by nans31, May 21, 2005.

1. nans31

nans31 Well-Known Member

I am in the process of building up my rabbit business (meat rabbits) and of course the cost of feed is standing between me and a nice profit! I have my feed custom mixed because of some problems I had with a well known brand. I have the recipe, now I'd like to be able to make my own pellets!
    I've been searching, but can't really find a small machine/machines that is appropriate for 1-2 ton a month.
    Does anyone make their own pellets, or know where I can get the machines needed?

Thanks! Nan.

2. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

Nan,

It would be cost prohibited to buy a pelleter. I would just find a small electric roll or hammer mill and feed it that way. You would also need some way to mix it. I usually only feed a mix of feed to my chickens and then use a cement mixer to mix it. Time consuming. I would check around and see if anyone would be willing to custom pelletize your feed for you.

Bobg

3. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

If I was going to buy a Pelleter.I would use it for my Feed and start up making Wood Pelltes for Pellet Stoves.Ofcourse you would have to get Hoppers and Scales,but it might be worth looking in to.

big rockpile

4. nans31

nans31 Well-Known Member

What exactly is a hammermill?

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

There are 3 common machines to mash up whole grains. Roller mill, burr mill, & hammer mill.

Hammer mill is some spinning straps of metal that force the grain through a screen of holes (various sizes for various courseness) to make feed.

--->Paul