Pellet Stoves-help!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by katgirl, Feb 11, 2004.

1. katgirl

katgirl Guest

My husband and I are looking for a new stove for our home. Currently we have an el-cheapo wood heating stove from TSC-we are happy with the basic stove (30000 btus is plenty for our home) but...we hate the mess, the trouble of getting wood, stacking wood, the dirt from the wood and ashes, blah blah blah. So we are looking into other options. We are currently checking out Harman p38+ pellet stoves. Does anyone have any experience with these? I know pellet stoves have come a long way but we want to be happy with our purchase. Any replies would be greatly appreciated!! We live in eastern Kansas-gets pretty cold here sometimes. Thanks in advance!!

2. Ken Scharabok

Ken Scharabok In Remembrance

Do a forum search on corn stoves. Save basic concept - just different fuel. I suspect if you do a www.google.com search on either it will get lots of hits.

Ken Scharabok

3. bumpus

bumpus Well-Known Member

One of our neighbors has a pellet stove for the last two or three years and the stove has broke down about 6 or 7 times.

Not much fun or heat in the middle of the winter.

A warranty may fix the stove but it will not keep you warm either.

To me it is nothing but a headache.

4. homesteadmama

homesteadmama Well-Known Member

We moved to a doublewide mobile that came with a pellet stove. I didn't think I would like it--really wanted a wood stove---but couldn't afford to switch that first winter. Now I love it,and wouldn't want to be without it, but we live in western Washington where the winters are not that cold. I think in a really cold area the regular wood stoves would heat much better. It is a trade off with the mess and all, but we have not had any problem with our pellet stove breaking down-it's been 5 winters now!

5. Carol K

Carol K Well-Known Member

My best friend loves hers. It's a Lopi (google Lopi), they put it in their basement and cut vents in their floors for the heat to rise up through. That's what heats their house in Westren NY, I'm thinking they go through 4 Ton(?) of pellets at a cost of 400$ in a year. if you get a power outage the stove doesn't work though as the auger and blower need electric, but I'm thinking you can get battery back up for them now. They have had their stove years with no problems. Hope this helps.

Carol K