pellet stove?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by wittey, Dec 12, 2005.

1. wittey

wittey Member

Hi all.
    I have a pellet stove that the circuit board went out on( only the low speed works and woundnt stop when shut off, then quit feeding) and can not find any where to get new one.
    It's Reliant Industries Inc. Phoenix/Baron model FS/I.
    I think Reliant went out of business back in 1999.

2. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I am not familiar with how a pellet stove works, but I Am fimiliar with some circuit boards and some electronic's. What does this board do/controll? Randy

3. wittey

wittey Member

the circuit board controls on,off, 3 speeds of the fan and auger and start of auger, auto shut off if over heat........

4. dseng

dseng Member

I found this...
    Reliant Industries
    Closed shop (12/99) - parts and support available from Applied Control Electronics @ 1-530-626-5181

5. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

OK, we have a pellet stove (love it) which was made about 8 years ago. It doesn't have the circuit boards - manual operation. Our neighbors have a brand new one and their electronic starter, etc. went out as soon as the warantee was off. Parts had to be ordered and back ordered, however in the meantime, they could bypass the electronics and operate their stove in a manual position, much as ours operates. I'll bet you can to that too. There should be manual knobs whereby you can control the speed of the fan motor and also the control the pellet feed auger motor.

Sorry I can't be more specific, but I hope this helps you out a bit.

6. texican

texican Well-Known Member

When you find a new circuit board, you might want to get some spares...that is if you're using the pellet stove as your main source of heat. One of the major problems I have with a heat source such as pellet stoves...they need electronics or an electrical power source to operate.

If it's just for looks or ambiance, no problem. If you risk freezing, if the stove fails, it's another matter.

Good luck finding a board...

7. wittey

wittey Member

well no one has one and will not repair it do to liability issues.
    So I guess I am out of luck. This thing is only about 12 years old.And live where we live AZ it didnt get a lot of use, but it was our main heat.
    I guess I can say that I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND A PELLET STOVE OF ANY KIND now.

8. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

You might want to reread your thread as the solution to your problem was given.

9. Theront

Theront Well-Known Member

I have a question for you. My stove just did the same thing about 3 weeks ago. It would not shut off, even when turned off. It would not stop feeding and would heat up immensely until the overtemp limit shut it off. I found a circuit board and rewired my stove. Mine is a Winrich perfecta. They also went out of business. Do you know what voltage your motors are? It may be possible to put another controller in yours if the voltage to the motors is the same. Mine were all AC out puts at 120v. I also changed the thermal disk on mine, it seemed that the stock 240 degrees wasn't hot enough. I raised mine to a max of 265 degrees. Mines works great now, except there are some differences in the way I have to light it and operate it. The new board seems to feed a little faster than my old one.

Theront

10. wittey

wittey Member

There are no manual nobs, Only electrical relays. And if there was a nob I would still have to push the pellet feed evey 8 seconds.

11. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Sounds like your auger motor went out, among other things. These are all things than can be fixed. Sounds to me like you might try and find someone who owns a pellet stove and maybe they can help you out. Either that or a handyman type person. Don't give up on the pellet stove yet - they really are great gadgets when they are working correctly.

12. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

Wittey~Find a handyman type person/someone that owns a pellet stove. My brother has had numerous problems with his (PelPro) and has been able to fix everything himself. I would HIGHLY recommend paying attention and getting extra parts if they become available. Its always nice to know how something works vs. just using it. Good luck and don't give up, they are very neat devices that really do seem to have a bright future.

13. wittey

wittey Member

Thanks Frank
    There is no one around here that has one and has worked on them( handy man wise) I have talk to a few handymen type, besides me, and they dont even want to try and fix a circuit board and the same with the pc folks since its not computer.

14. mountainman_bc

mountainman_bc Well-Known Member

This is partly why I will only use woodstoves. I don't like relying on anyone for wood or maintenance. However I hear they are really efficient.

15. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Mtn.Man - I concur. We have a pellet stove where we are not, but when we build the cabin, it will be a woodburning stove. Pellet stoves provide wonderful heat and are economical to operate, but expensive to maintain and leave you dependent upon finding pellets (not always easy) and also if the elect. goes out, your pellet stove goes out too!

I might be an old woman now, but I can still carry in an armload of wood and build a fire! ;)