Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Appalachian American
10,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we are preparing to move to our new home, Rose and I have been trying to figure out what to do with the pellet stove. It is a nice looking stove (I don't know the brand or model), and appears to be installed properly.

My biggest problem with the pellet stove is the need for electricity to run the feed motor. We would be more than happy to keep the existing stove if we could find a way to get around that one issue.

Does anyone have any experience or ideas about we could do that?

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
With a short term grid failure, you could have a homemade UPS (uninterrruptible power supply). A deep cycle 12v battery and a small inverter. Keep the battery on float... use it to power the motor every hour or so... leaving it on all the time would drain your battery quickly.

Or, you could replace the motor with one that works on battery power?

Personally, I'd sell it and get a real stove... if someone gave me one, I'd not keep it.

·
Appalachian American
10,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With a short term grid failure, you could have a homemade UPS (uninterrruptible power supply). A deep cycle 12v battery and a small inverter. Keep the battery on float... use it to power the motor every hour or so... leaving it on all the time would drain your battery quickly.

Or, you could replace the motor with one that works on battery power?

Personally, I'd sell it and get a real stove... if someone gave me one, I'd not keep it.
I think selling it will be the plan long term, but for now we'll make do with it.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
A pellet stove requires power 24 hr a day, thus battery back up is not your best option. They use two fans. One to feed the flame and the other to blow the heat up to the air exchage tubes. Both fans are always on.

There is one way arond that. You can install a thermostat. The down side is that each time the desired temp is reached, the stove shuts down, so when you need heat again the stove has to go through its start up cycle again. This will greatly reduce the life span of your ignighter system.

Either sell it or you are looking at a generator.

·
construction and Garden b
7,378 Posts
i am not sure if this is a local shortage or what but the stores around here are sold out of pellets! we have just plain wood stoves and wood boilers here like the idea that anyone can cut the wood but with pellets i am dependent on an outside source.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts