Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never done this before, but willl probably have the chance in the next day or two. The rivets are 3/16 diameter and hold the teeth to the cutting bar on a sickle bar mower. Any helpful hints, instructions, or techniques? Most of the hits I got on google referenced rivet-setting machines - the only machine that will be involved is my arm with a hammer held firmly at he end...

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
You can buy bolts especially made to hold the knives to the back bar. On some machines you may have to alter the hold down clips to clear the nut used on the specialty bolt. It is worthwhile to convert to the newer design.
Here you can view the fasteners
http://www.shoupmfg.com/catalog/view.cfm?bmkName=904504
The price is for 25 bolts and nuts

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
how I do it.

if you have a heavy iron and the sickle is out of the machine place the rivit up under into the bar, and place on the anvil place the knife on the bar and rivit, take a small ball peen hammer using the ball side, and start tapping the rivit carefully and usly circular slowly peening over the rivit an forming a dome shape to the rivit,

if it is still in the machine or just out so you can work on it, take a heavy hammer and hold against the bottom of the rivit and then follow the above procedures, there is a chisel looking tool that has a dimple formed into to finish forming the rivit if so desired,

and there is a hand held tool that will punch out old rivits and then set the new one using a wrench to turn a screw, and you can uslay work it on the machine with the sickle in place, http://www.smithtoolinfo.com/r3030.htm

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I think there would be a problem of clearance if you use the bolts where you should use rivets.

I put a bunch of sections on last year and didn't worry about making a pretty rivet.
Placed the bar on a good solid piece of steel with the rivets and sections in place and whacked them down with a good sized ball pein. Rounded em off a bit but not quite factory perfect. They hold pretty good...been mowing all summer and some of last with them.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
There are tools available for peening rivets. One in particular looks like a cold chisel but instead of having a cutting edge it if flat on the bottom as if cut off. The flat area has one or more holes in it that have the bottom of the hole domed inward to shape the head of a rivet. Select the proper sized hole and place over the rivet (supported underneath the rivet head). Hammer away and it will leave a perfectly domed peened rivet. Been around for decades.

·
Registered
425 Posts
the bolts and lock nuts come in various lengths.....most farm tractor places sell them in a bulk bin...if you get a package sometimes you can get the assorted lengths too........mink

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Just be sure the rivets are sweled to the hole. You can make a perty round head but if the rivers are not sweled to the side of the hole it will be lose in a couble of days use.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The tool mentioned several times is called a rivet set and they can be purchased from old hardware stores and tinners supply houses. There are many ways to go about setting the things, but the basics are to make sure the two parts are in tight contact (accomplished by placing the rivet end into the hole drilled into the end of the set and tapping it so that the rivet is snug against the two pieces of metal.) Then you back up the rivet with a friend holding a sledge hammer against the button, then peen away as described above. Don't overdo it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts