pedigree program?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by SherryR, Aug 21, 2005.

1. SherryR

SherryR Well-Known Member

what's the best, simplest, cheapest pedigree program? Any recommendations?

Is there one that you just slip in the computer & it sets up itself? And all I have to do is fill in the blanks. . . (am I dreaming?)
    thanks SherryR

2. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

I just designed a blank pedigree on Microsoft Excel, print it, and fill it out by hand. (I could type it, but it's faster to write.) My rabbitry is on a tight budget & isn't large enough yet to justify the expense of a computer program. It's basically just a step up from the blank pedigree books available from the ARBA.

The HUGE downside to this is that it takes time to write out all those pedigrees. With a "real" pedigree program, you'd only have to enter the data on your rabbits ONCE.

3. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

How about using one of the free genealogy programs? I don't know what information you enter for rabbits, but the better programs for people allow you to add whatever fields or events you like to the database.

PAF is one popular program

Legacy is even better

4. SherryR

SherryR Well-Known Member

Thanks for your replies,

Rabbitgal, I know what you mean, my kid did the same thing for me once, but then she didn't want to do it anymore--

Mistletoad I will check out those links, looks interesting.

SherryR

5. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

i'm test driving 4 programs that have 'test drive versions'. So far The Rabbit Register (Evans Software) is my favorite....

6. natybear

natybear Well-Known Member

Evans Software provides the best program for purebreed and breeds being worked on. You wouldn't get any use if you crossbreed but 90% of ARBA pedigrees are run through this system. They send you free upgrades too.

7. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Interesting, why do you like Rabbit Register?