Peculiar question about calf bottles!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Freeholder, Oct 7, 2006.

1. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Here's a peculiar question: I was just looking at my calf bottles (you know, the two-quart white plastic bottles), which I use to feed goat kids with the appropriate nipples attached, and wondering if there was a source for some kind of a lid for them, other than the nipples? Does anyone have any ideas? I've been trying to think what to use for carrying milk on camping trips -- using pack goats, and with does in milk accompanying us -- and can't at present afford the stainless steel milk cans, although I'd love to get some of them. Some public lands don't allow glass containers to be carried, and it wouldn't really be a good idea, anyway, as they are too easy to break.

Anyone have any better ideas than calf bottles? (Inexpensive ideas, please!)

Kathleen

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I have the screw on ring and sep. nipple assembly and the rings and nips will fit a reg mason jar...and there are plastic screw on covers for mason jars both large mouth and small to fit...so it would fit calf bottle as well...

link..

http://www.homecanning.com/usa/ALProducts.asp?CAT=479&P=2579

3. Freeholder

Where did you get your calf bottles? The ones I have, have the 'pop-on' nipples. There aren't any threads, and I just checked, and a mason-jar ring is way too big anyway. So I'm thinking you have a different kind of calf bottle?

Kathleen

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Would half gallon plastic milk jugs work.

5. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

6. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, they come with a ring and a nipple that you screw on or with the pop-on nipple. The screw on kind would work for what your talking about, but for feeding calves, I prefer the pop-on nipples and bottles. Don't think there is any other type of lid for the pop-on type......

7. Freeholder

I found it, thanks! I think I'll get some of those screw-on caps, even if I find something better for putting milk in while we are camping, because it will be easier to put bottles away in the refrigerator without the tall nipples on them!

Thanks again!

Kathleen