Pecans and dogs?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by westfive, Oct 16, 2006.

1. westfive

westfive New Member

I just moved into a new place that has 3 big pecan trees in the back. I need some insight on two issues. First off, I remember years back a guy telling me that is was not good to eat fruit or nuts from trees in the yard where the dogs do their business daily. IS there some issue here that can cause illness to humans, like a transfer of something from the dogs waste to the nuts or fruits, and then on to humans?? The second issue came up yesterday after the last day of moving, a fellow from down the street came by to introduce himself and said quote, "Oh, you have dogs? You are not oging to keep them in that back yard with those pecans are you? This time of year they are toxic to dogs. I knew of a small dog that nearly bled to death from eating green pecans." I have fed my lad pecans for several years, she loves to fetch them after I have been out gathering and she cracks the nuts and eats the goods. But is this a issue? I was not sure if this was the right area to ask these questions so if not please let me know and thanks for any assistance. :help:

2. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

I wouldnt worry about either issue. Now, if the nuts are falling into the dog poop, that is another issue. However, as far as anything transferring into the soil, through the roots and up into the nut production- I wouldnt worry. I've known many dogs that eat pecans without problems. If you notice them eating an extreme lot of pecans, you may watch them and possibly take some precautions. I dont see it being a problem.

3. westfive

westfive New Member

Thanks for sharing, I have been doing some searching on the net. And it appears to be just as you said, a non-issue. I even found links to using dog pooh for compost for gardens! I may need to look deeper into the whole issue, just to have the information. Thanks again.

4. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

I have dogs and pecan trees without ever a problem.

5. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

what kind of pecans Aintlifegrand? Or do you have those gorgeous 100 year old natives?