Pear Tree from seed?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by perennial, Jun 20, 2006.

1. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

Can a pear tree be grown from the seed of a pear? I am in Zone 6b and i have the seeds sitting on the window sill. If i nick them and soak them for a few hours then plant, will they actually grow a tree with pears on it?

Also, has anyone grown a tea tree from seed? I've read that we have the right conditions here so it might be worth trying - just didn't know if anyone had tried this.

If i decide to grow grapes (there are vineyards here so i know they will grow), what kind do i grow? Again - this is all for homestead purposes.

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

I know the seeds of grapes and Apple need A breif time in A feezer to break Dormancy I beleive pears would be the same. About 30 days in A freezer will work.. After the dormancy is broken by Exteme cold the seeds will germinate..Let us know how it goes..

3. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

If the seeds are from a hybrid pear, don't expect the tree to produce pears like the one the seeds came from.

4. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

you will most likely get a full size standard tree. just remember to keep it pruned well using the central leader or modified leader system.