pear tree cross-pollination

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by HeatherDriskill, Jul 26, 2006.

1. HeatherDriskill

HeatherDriskill Well-Known Member

Hi, everyone. I just moved to a new place out in the country (yay!) and I discovered I have 1 pear tree. I knew it was a pear tree because there were about three tiny little pears, which I had to taste to make sure they were pears. I figured that it probably didn't produce because it has been so dry and no one has been watering the tree. Then I read somewhere that pear trees have to be planted at least in pairs because they need to cross-pollinate to produce. I have never planted anything, but I think I should plant another pear tree. Anyone have advice on how I should go about doing this? I live right on the edge of zones 6 and 7. Thanks!

2. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Almost all pears need a pollinator. Seckel is one that doesn't, but still has better production if planted near another cultivar.

3. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

If there's another pear within a mile or so, it might be fine. Could it be a very young tree? My old apartment had one pear tree in the yard and it was loaded every year, we never could find another one nearby.

4. HeatherDriskill

It may be young. I really have no idea. I was just walking my fence line a few days ago and noticed it. I think I would like to plant another one. I guess I will have to visit the local nursery and see what I can find out. I hope it isn't too expensive!

5. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Do you know what type of pear tree it is? May want to plant 2 more that you know will polinate each other to have a better chance of getting one that will polinate this one.

6. HeatherDriskill

Good idea. I have no idea what kind it is. Is there any way to guess by looking at it?