Peanut kits

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by goatmarm, Apr 28, 2006.

1. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member

2. topside1

topside1 Retired Coastie Supporter

here is one of the best sites i have come across and one of the only ones that tells and mentions what peanuts are. they talk about them about the 4th paragraph down. hope this helps!!! good luck with your rabbits. ashley http://www.thenaturetrail.com/baby-rabbit-care.htm

3. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

Their babies that have inherited two copies of the dwarf gene, one from either parent. In the breeds that have the dwarf genes there are three genetic types, double dwarfs(peanuts) true dwarfs(have one copy of the dwarf gene) and false dwarfs, who did not inherit a copy of the dwarf gene. When you breed true dwarf to true dwarf you get 25% peanuts, 50% true dwarfs, 25% false dwarfs, thats just an average. Now true dwarf to false dwarf produces 50% true and 50% false, so many breeders keep and use false dwarf does, called BUDs(Big Ugly Does). BUD's have bigger litters, don't produce peanuts but still can have the same good genes except for the dwarf gene. If I was ever going to do meat rabbits I'd probably go with false dwarf mini rex, smaller rabbits, but they gain weight well, would probably be good for some folks purposes.

4. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Rabbit "peanuts" are kits that have inherited two "copies" of the recessive gene for dwarfism. Both parents have to be dwarf rabbits for this to happen. Peanuts usually die (or are culled) soon after birth, but there have been a couple that have lived. See the pages that thefarmerswife posted. Honorine is correct about the statistics: approximately 25% of the offspring born to dwarf parents are peanuts.