Peacock Strutting Around Garden Area - Problem?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MsPacMan, Feb 10, 2005.

1. MsPacMan

MsPacMan Well-Known Member

I've noticed the last two days that the most beautiful peacock has been hanging around on my property.

I have no idea where the peacock came from, or why she hasn't move on. I'm not even sure if she is wild or just an escaped pet (though I know of nobody in the neighborhood who owns a peacock).

My question is this: I'm about to put the first of my garden in the ground (leaf lettuce, buttercrunch lettuce, cabbage, spinach and broccoli).

Is this beautiful creature a danger to my garden?

If so, what can I do about it?

2. ok_country

ok_country Active Member

I really couldn't answer on Peacocks but if they are anything like chickens yes they can do damage. Sometimes curiosity gets them if they see you digging, and then they want to see what you were digging at and can scratch up your seeds. Sometimes they even eat the seeds. I was thinking of getting some peacocks myself, but after my chickens invaded my garden and scratched everything up and ate half of it, I decided against it. As to what to do, sorry I still can't seem to keep my chickens out of mine. They fly over my fence no matter how tall I build it. Best thing is to advertise in the paper or on the radio of a loose Peacock and see if anyone calls. They are beautiful, but I hear that they can be real noisy and intrusive. Good luck.

3. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

Peacocks are also great when roasted like a turkey. When I was young and we lived at Taliesin, the Wrights decided that they would like to have a flock of them strutting around the place. Wasn't long before they all ended up at the farm portion of the complex. Instead of annoying Oglivanna Wright early every morning, it was my mother who was most annoyed! When the Wrights and the students shifted to Taliesin West that fall, we enjoyed "roast turkey" once a week for a long time. Next spring, nobody asked what happened to them. As long as they were gone, that was sufficient!

Oh yes, you do NOT want them in your garden. In the wild, their diet is virtually the same as a wild turkey. They'll eat anything and everything!

Martin

4. LindaT_AK

LindaT_AK Well-Known Member

Trust me, you don't want them in your garden. They will eat and destroy you little plants.
    I have had peafowl and always keep them penned up. I've found that if they get loose they wander. sometimes so far I could not get them back.

Have you found out who this peafowl belongs to? Is it male of female? (well that is kinda irrelevant). :) Peafowl are rather spendy birds.

Oh yes, I have butchered them and eaten them before too. And when they call out, you can hear them for miles. (But I love them anyways. :)
    Linda T.