Peaches

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Wendy, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

What needs to be done to increase the size of peaches? My brother had a tree that was loaded this year, but they were very small.

2. 3ravens

3ravens on furlough-downsized Supporter

"Loaded with peaches" is the problem! Some judicious thinning needs to be done when they are small and green. A singleton on a branch is OK, but clusters of 3 need to be thinned to 1 or 2. And a little teeny branch shouldn't be trying to hold up 6 peaches :shrug: you get the idea! That way you have fewer peaches, but they are bigger and nicer.
    Also pay attention to the conditions. An extra bit of water when it's dry helps them get bigger. But not too much when they are almost ripe, or they can be bland.

3. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

Several years ago an old man told me he got huge peaches by disolving 5 lb. of sugar in 5 gallons of water and pouring it under the tree every spring. He always had wonderful peaches. I think he thinned them also. He honestly believes the sugar water helped. Maybe it did, maybe it didn't. I tried it this year with my apple tree and got a good crop of larger than normal apples. Next year I'll try it on one of my peach trees to see if it makes a difference.

4. VALENT

VALENT Well-Known Member

3ravens pegged it. Too many in quantity means too little in quality.