Peach tree/Pear tree questions

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by GoatsRus, May 16, 2005.

1. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

I have several red haven peach trees that were given to me that are actually bearing fruit, however, the japenese beetles got the whole crop last year (I've applied Milky spore this year) but now I see that there is what looks like sap on each of the small fruits. I saw a couple of ants running up the trunk of one of the trees and don't know if they are invading the fruit and sucking the juice out our what is causing the globs of sticky sap. Any ideas? What should I spray with? Will Liquid 7 be enough? My other question is my pear trees. This is the first year for fruit and one tree had some nice pears starting on it and all of a sudden I noticed that some of the limbs and leaves turned brownish-black and are very supple. It looks to me like they got frost bitten, but I don't think we've had another morning frost since I first noticed the fruit - any suggestions? Thanks.

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

Break open one of the green peaches and you'll probably find a tiny worm in there. If so, it's the larvae of the coddling moth and it's too late to do anything for your crop this year. You have to start spraying when the buds start to swell, stop while the tree is in bloom, then start again and spray regularly during the year. There are some good organic sprays you can use.

I'm not sure on the pears but it sounds like it could be fire blight. Take an affected branch in to your county extension office and they can tell you for sure.

3. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

Thanks for the info. At least now I have a direction to pursue.