Peach/Mesquite grafts

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Slim Pickens, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens Guest

Has anyone ever tried grafting peach trees to a mesquite tree? It might sound dumb but, why not? I'm in Texas, and we're sure not short of mesquites. And I love peaches. Maybe I'm braindead, but if you can't beat'em, graft'em.

2. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

LOL! Well that's a creative idea if I ever heard one! If you want dwarf peach trees, I think you can use sand cherries as the root stock. Sand Cherries ought to do good in sand.

3. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Is mesquite related to peaches? I think that might be a requirement, but I'm not sure. :confused:

4. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Have NO idea if it would work. I've only heard of grafting to another plant in the same family. Why don't you give it a whirl and tell us what happens? Are there any wild plums growing in your area? That might be a better solution.

5. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

We might have a problem with it being used to graft any fruit. According to this page, it lives in frost free areas. See a normal locust and live up north your mesquite can't, according to this article. But, it is a valuable nitrogen fixer.

www.vetiver.com/OT_prosopis.htm

I'll keep doing some research

6. TennOC

TennOC Member

Peaches will grow nicely from seeds, usually giving you some blossoms the 2nd or 3rd year after planting. They also come true from the seeds, well OK true-er (lol) more so than apples do for instance. Plant them in the fall in pots with 1/2 inch hardware cloth over them to foil the mice and squirrels. Set out the trees after they come up in the spring. Good luck and let me know when the Peach Cobbler's ready!