Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever tried grafting peach trees to a mesquite tree? It might sound dumb but, why not? I'm in Texas, and we're sure not short of mesquites. And I love peaches. Maybe I'm braindead, but if you can't beat'em, graft'em.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Slim Pickens said:
Has anyone ever tried grafting peach trees to a mesquite tree? It might sound dumb but, why not? I'm in Texas, and we're sure not short of mesquites. And I love peaches. Maybe I'm braindead, but if you can't beat'em, graft'em.
LOL! Well that's a creative idea if I ever heard one! If you want dwarf peach trees, I think you can use sand cherries as the root stock. Sand Cherries ought to do good in sand.

·
Big Bird
2,173 Posts
Is mesquite related to peaches? I think that might be a requirement, but I'm not sure. :confused:

·
In Remembrance
28,242 Posts
Have NO idea if it would work. I've only heard of grafting to another plant in the same family. Why don't you give it a whirl and tell us what happens? Are there any wild plums growing in your area? That might be a better solution.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Slim Pickens said:
We might have a problem with it being used to graft any fruit. According to this page, it lives in frost free areas. See a normal locust and live up north your mesquite can't, according to this article. But, it is a valuable nitrogen fixer.

www.vetiver.com/OT_prosopis.htm

I'll keep doing some research

·
Registered
23 Posts
Peaches will grow nicely from seeds, usually giving you some blossoms the 2nd or 3rd year after planting. They also come true from the seeds, well OK true-er (lol) more so than apples do for instance. Plant them in the fall in pots with 1/2 inch hardware cloth over them to foil the mice and squirrels. Set out the trees after they come up in the spring. Good luck and let me know when the Peach Cobbler's ready!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts