Pea Sheller

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Mike in Pa, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Mike in Pa

Mike in Pa Well-Known Member

Anyone ever use a pea sheller? Do they crush the soft peas? I'm looking for a small hand crank one.
    Thanks, Mike

2. Mike in Pa

3. Homesteader

Homesteader Well-Known Member

Hell-ooo to you too! No, don't use one but am interested in the answers so anyone out there?????

4. blhmabbott

blhmabbott We're gettin' there!

Hellooo. Yes, I've used one, and no, they don't crush the peas like you'd think. A few may come out kinda squished, but not enough to make a big difference or to quit using this method :) .
    Heather

5. stonerebel

stonerebel Well-Known Member

I actually have five pea shellers my wife and four children, but they do get tired of shelling. :haha:

6. Okie-Dokie

Okie-Dokie Well-Known Member

Yes, we have one. Got it at a 2d hand store many years ago. Works real good for Black Eyed Peas and doesn't squish the peas (in the green stage, not after they have dried out for storage). As stated above, wife and kids are faster. You can hook it up to a hand mixer set on slowest speed.

7. Mike in Pa

Thanks for the replies. There's a "Magic Fingers" little cheapie model on ebay right now. Granted it's pretty much junk but if it works out, I might upgrade later.
    I remember you have to grow A LOT of peas to get a little so this will definately be an experimantal year all around.