Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it reasonable for a PC to take 2+ hours to cool down?

I canned 7 pints of stewed tomatoes in my 70s era Mirro 22 qt canner. 15# pressure, 15 minutes. Turned off the heat at 8:22 pm, moved to the cool burner, and gave up at 10:22 pm.

It seemed as if no pressure had been released. I fiddled with the weight, released the pressure, removed the jars, tightened the rings & went to bed. The stem thingy under the weight does not appear plugged.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I have a presto, that holds 8 wide mouth pints or 7 wide mouth quarts (nowhere on it does it call it a "xx qt. canner", but that might help you in comparison. My canner will cool down to 0 pressure in about 3-35 minutes. I only have a dial gauge though.....

·
Premium Member
25,233 Posts
My instructions say to wait 40 to 45 minutes after turning off the heat. Then remove the weight and allow pressure to equalize. If you don't SEE steam when removing the weight it's safe to remove it. Remove the lid, opening it away from you. Remove jars and set them on several thicknesses of cloth. Do not tighten screw bands on self-sealing lids. Keep jars out of drafts and always set them in an upright position to cool. After 12 hours remove screw bands.

Did the weight jiggle vigorously before you turned the heat down? Did stuff cook out of the jars?

Did the lids seal? If they did, you're okay.

Mirro says right on the bottom xx quart.

The first time I canned something by myself I didn't remove the lid in the specified time. When I did remove it the pressure had already equalized and the jars were sealed.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
my canner(Presto) was taking about an hour or more until Dad mention I was sitting on a folded over towel and it was holding the heat longer. Once I started cooling it on a rack then it takes about 30 minutes, no longer than 45

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My instructions say to wait 40 to 45 minutes after turning off the heat. Then remove the weight and allow pressure to equalize. If you don't SEE steam when removing the weight it's safe to remove it.

Did the weight jiggle vigorously before you turned the heat down? YES

Did stuff cook out of the jars? NO

Did the lids seal? YES

If they did, you're okay.

Guess I'll have to re read the instructions...I did not see steam when I pulled the weight - but there was a lot of air wooshing, which says to me the pressure hasn't equalized. I must add, it's always been this way...or maybe I have always handled it this way!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
25,233 Posts
No, the pressure won't be equalized when the canner is cool enough to remove the weight. Freaked me out the first time I did it alone, and my grandma was no longer available to help. (Mom uses a dial, not a weight. Grandma used the weight) So I just followed the instructions and let the air whoosh before removing the top. Even with the gauge you have to equalize the pressure before removing the top of the canner. Word of caution, if you remove the jars right away the contents will look like they are still boiling. It's supposed to be that way. I remember watching those jars when I was little. Don't tighten the rings. They'll seal on their own.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, D.

(Using Tattler lids, so do want to crank the rings down after removing the jar.)

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
Is it reasonable for a PC to take 2+ hours to cool down?

I canned 7 pints of stewed tomatoes in my 70s era Mirro 22 qt canner. 15# pressure, 15 minutes. Turned off the heat at 8:22 pm, moved to the cool burner, and gave up at 10:22 pm.

It seemed as if no pressure had been released. I fiddled with the weight, released the pressure, removed the jars, tightened the rings & went to bed. The stem thingy under the weight does not appear plugged.
No. The earlier mentions of rack cool and setting on towels, I think, are very important points.

Remove from heat. That is, take it from the hot eye and place onto a cool conductive one. I've never done it, but I like the rack suggestion.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
When I finish canning I slide the pressure canner on to a cool burner and let it sit for about 20 minutes, then I test it by nudging the weight, if steam still comes out I let it set longer, when I nudge the weight and no steam comes out I pull the weight off and open the lid. I remove the hot jars and set them on my work island on a towel to seal. Once, the steam was gone out but I couldn't open up the lid. There is a lock under one of the handles that is steam triggered which prevents you from opening the lid. Mine was stuck in lock position. I tapped the handle hard with the back of a meat cleaver, I believe it was, and the lock unstuck and I was able to open the lid. Somewhere between 20 and 30 minutes is normal for my canner at 10 pounds pressure.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just follow the instructions for my Presto which says

At the end of processing time, turn burner to“off” and remove canner from heat source. NOTE: Lift pressure canner to remove it from burner. Sliding cookware can leave scratches on stovetops.

Let pressure drop of its own accord. Do not attempt to speed the cooling of the canner, which can cause jar breakage, liquid loss from the jars and other problems. Pressure is completely reduced when the air vent/cover lock and overpressure plug have dropped and no steam escapes when the pressure regulator is lifted. Do not use the dial gauge as an indicator for when pressure is completely reduced.

When pressure has been completely reduced, remove pressure regulator from vent pipe and let canner cool for 10 minutes. Do not remove the pressure regulator until pressure
is completely reduced and the air vent/cover lock has dropped. Always remove pressure regulator before opening the cover.

·
Premium Member
25,233 Posts
I didn't state it in my first reply but I have a Mirro-matic 16 quart canner of approximately the same vintage as the op's. Instructions are also valid for the 22 quart of the same vintage. Says 40 to 45 minutes.

I don't move mine after I turn the heat off. My grandma didn't either but she had a gas stove, mine is electric. I wait about 50 minutes to an hour before I remove the weight.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I move the canner to a cool burner, the jars go on a towel when taken out of the canner.

Reread the UGA instructions, made spaghetti sauce last night, pulled the weight at 1 hour (still scary WOOOOOOOOOOOOOSh sound), but no steam, jars out and sealed fine. And I got a good night's sleep!

Today: salsa!

·
Premium Member
25,233 Posts
I did a batch of potatoes last night. After 50 minutes had the whoooosh but most of the jars were already sealed when I pulled them out.

I have to oil my gasket. It stuck to the canner. I hope I didn't ruin it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I know this is a late response but maybe it will help.

Once it seemed to take OVER 3 hours for my canner depressurized. I had to get up early for work and was not happy to wait until after midnight to remove my jars;-).

The problem was when ever I lifted the weight it made a "sound" like air was escaping so I put the weight back on thinking it still had pressure even though the gauge was zero.

Later found out this was not air escaping but air being sucked in creating a vacuum! In fact I then could not get the lid off, and had to pop it off with a screw driver!

I found a post online that said if you don't take off the weight when the canner reachs zero and no steam is escaping you will create a vacuum. It might sound like steam but if you don't see steam like others mentioned, and you're at zero take off the weight or rocker.

The longer you leave the weight on at zero the more vacuum you will create and you will keep hearing that noise when you try to remove the weight.

Michelle

1 - 15 of 15 Posts