PBS taking apps for Texas Ranch House series

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by ovsfarm, Feb 3, 2005.

1. ovsfarm

ovsfarm Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi,

Dh works at a PBS station and just emailed me that they are accepting applications for people to participate in another of the "House" series, this one set on a Texas ranch, kind of an old west thing. I think the app process just opened Feb. 1.

Those interested can apply via www.pbs.org

I like the theory of doing one of those shows, just because I like history and think it would be kind of fun. However, I have worked so hard for what progress we have made here that I am not sure I could stand to leave it for 5 months somewhere else. KWIM?

So who's interested?

2. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

The deadline is Mar 18.

I called hubby at work between bus runs and after morning chores and asked him "Havent you always wanted to be a cowboy?" He is a big Louis L'Amour reader among others. He said " Just because I found my old Stetson and cowboy boots when I cleaned the closet yesterday?" (to fix the bathroom shower he has to go thru the closet).

I said "no" then he remembered the calf we raised and butchered was named "Cowboy" and he said " Please tell me you didnt bring home another calf"
    He was wrong again.

" No No the Real Thing...horses cattle and all " I said.

He said " you know the story about me riding a horse dont you"

Whats the old saying when you fall off the horse?? I am going to wear him down...he always gives in....I may not have the right to vote in 1867 but behind every good man is an even better WOMAN! ;)

The way to any man is thru his stomach....we eat pinto beans and chili once a week at least....cheap and keeps you regular :eek:

I should've been a cowboy. I should've learned to rope and ride..... :yeeha: Do you know the song???
    Whiskey for my men and beer for my horses :yeeha:

3. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Can I bring my own cows??? Then I could go without finding a cow sitter.

Jena

4. 2horses

2horses I'm a silly filly!! Supporter

I'm applying! I've always wanted to work on a real cattle ranch! I'm such a wannabe, with my little bit of land and my horses - but how cool would this be? YEE-HAW!!!

Pam :cool: <------- is already thinking how to make the video portion unique...

5. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I would love to! My husband, however, is not willing to leave home and work (his is the boss) for five months. They suggested persons who can cook for a large group. I did the cooking for the family, 13 people, when I was in high school, and have no problems with Thanksgiving or Christmas get togethers. This gives me a chance, right?

*** sigh ***

6. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

7. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

......................The Cowboy lifestyle, is nothing but Hardwork and very little pay . Modern "Boys" are probably better off but the Old Timers are lucky if they owned the Boots on their tired old feet . The only folks really enjoying life were the ones that actually owned the "ranch" . ..fordy... :)

8. Well whoever gets picked to be on the series I just hope they all go in with the attitude that they are there to re-enact what it was like back then. The last series (colonial house) the people were a bunch of A..wholes (excuse my rant) and wanted to adapt todays standards into yesterdays. They couldn't even play the game for just a few weeks without letting their bullheadedness take over.

9. Question: I would like to know when they are going to have a series about native tribes back in the old days. I would like to know what was on the menu list beside buffalo steaks and corn. And, how did they cook everything without iron pots.

Are they going to have a fur trading mountain man series? Or wagon train drive to California?

10. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

Might be fun, but I'm waiting for the 'Survivor' where they just drop the participants into the jungle with nothing but the clothes on their backs and a knife for one week. Last one standing wins :D

"Save a horse, ride a cowboy." :yeeha:

11. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

Good suggestions RH .... There were "cheaters" in both Colonial House and Frontier House unfortunately. There is a good interview at the Tennessean website of the Glenn's.
    As I understand PBS does pay a stipend...equal to everyone and they will talk with your employer if you should be picked.
    My children got a COOL computer game for Xmas called "The Oregon Trail" (5th edition)its for ages 9-12 but I must admit I enjoy it....it includes buying supplies, how fast/hard you hit the trail, destinations of Oregon City and Sacramento....and the hunting and fishing is fun!! Sometimes you butcher your oxen to eat.

I bet I've watched both Colonial House and Frontier House and the show about Dick Preoneke? "alone in alaska" a dozen times each.

The only thing for me is the snakes....I REALLY dont like snakes but I would eat it if necessary....I thought that the Clunes & Glenns should have gone fishing and foraging more.

Lately we've been on an adventure reading kick...."Little House on the Prarie"series, "Jason's Gold" (Will Hobbs) and the sequel, Arctic Homestead by Norma Cobb....all very enjoyable on a cold winter's day here in Maine, when you are dreading going out to do chores at -20 and an added windchill.

And the warmth of Texas sounds good ! Wonder if they'll follow with the Yukon Gold Rush next?

I dropped more not so subtle hints to the hubby again last night....

12. Firethorn

Firethorn Well-Known Member

Ok we are in. We have nothing holding us back but the dogs. I am sure I can get someone to watch them. We dont have a house. We are already use to the heat,that will be a shocker for some. I wander if they do health checks? Dh sometimes has high blood presure. It hasnt afected him though. Anyway, do you think they would let such a big family as ours? Im aplying right now. Wish us luck.

13. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I love you guys... and if one of you gets in you MUST keep an online diary and tell us ALL...

But all I can think of is "cooking for all the ranch hands."

I am SO not going there!

14. jesuisdiana

jesuisdiana Well-Known Member

Gilberte, you may get your wish, I've seen a couple of commercials for the latest survivor - think it starts Feb 17 (I remember cuz it's day b4 my bday :) ) and it says they start off with nothing. Might be interesting.

15. BetwixNBetween

BetwixNBetween Member

Ditto!

16. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

This is right up our alley! Hubby and I have wanted to do something like this since we were married. I put in my application, but now I need to rent or borrow a video camera (ours was stolen right befor we moved) for the video part of the ap. even if we don't get picked, it's going to be some interesting watching. HOWEVER... I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hoping to be chosen.

17. missyinohio

missyinohio Well-Known Member

I emailed some friends of ours in England about this one. They'd be perfect. But I also was lamenting that the US series are so very physical, while the British shows seem to be more "technical" if you can call it that. For example, in the US, we've had Frontier House, Colonial House, and now Texas Ranch House. In England theh had 1900 House, 1940's House, Manor House, and Regency House Party. Except for the servents in Manor House, most of it wasn't so physical as the US ones. Ours are more along the lines of "Survivor".

18. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

No way I'm up to it... it's all I can do keeping up with our place here, not to mention worrying about the animals. But I sure hope you guys get in... DO keep us updated if you do; I'll be chomping at the bit waiting to hear all about it.

19. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

I applied. Wish us luck. :)

20. jingle5616

jingle5616 Well-Known Member

I've often wondered why one would volenteer to have their life, good, bad and ugly broadcast to the country and now the world. No way in heck I would every let the blood sucking producers of these shows or even the television news interview me. If you have ever known a producer, you would know what I mean. They throw their morals out the window for good video.......(good in their world is BAD) I have a close family member who is employed in the field.
    Think about it, you have no clue what they are going to do with the hundreds of hours of tape they would collect on a 4-5 month. The man has an incredible amount of power to make one look awful, or great........what every he desides he needs for the show. We all have our bad moments in life, but add 5 months of them together and a 3 hour show could do much damage, deservedly so or not.......just my opinion....

Jingle