PBS show

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by nobs, Apr 26, 2005.

1. nobs

nobs Well-Known Member

A month or so ago we watched a show about a guy who filmed himself in Alaska. He made his own house, bowls, everything. He finally moved in with his family in the late 1980's or 90's. The house is in a national park now. I have searched the PBS site and can't find it. I would like to buy it. Does anyone know the name of the show or man? Thanks.

2. TEXKAT

TEXKAT Well-Known Member

That was a great show....I was so inspired (and shocked) by all that the man did by himself.

The show is called "Alone In The Wilderness".

You can purchase a tape @ www.dickproenneke.com/index.html

Hope this helps....and I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who enjoyed that show so much. :)

3. happy@home

happy@home Well-Known Member

There is also a book. It's called One Man's Wilderness ( I thought that was the name of the show too but I might be confused). I bought the book from half.com, the book and video are there and on ebay quite a bit. I thought I saw them at Amazon.com too but I'm not sure. My dd is reading the book now and I'm waiting my turn at it.

4. hengal

hengal Well-Known Member

I happened to turn onto that show when it was on PBS several months ago and was absolutely glued to my seat. It was just fascinating I thought. Really amazing what this guy did by himself, and he wasn't exactly a spring chicken at the time either.

5. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

6. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm glad it is available for sale.

I called our local PBS station (MPT), and they said it was available for a $100 membership, and I had a feeling that would be out of the question.

7. Philbee

Philbee Well-Known Member

You can order it at this number. 1-800-737-0239. Bob Swerer Productions. It cost 19.95 +s & h. Its called Alone in the Wilderness. The book is called One Mans Wilderness and is available at Alaska Northwest Books. 1-800-452-3032. Hope this helps. Jassytoo.

8. DAVID In Wisconsin

DAVID In Wisconsin Well-Known Member

I read the book a few weeks ago. It was great!