PBS & America's Heartland

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by MullersLaneFarm, Jan 31, 2005.

1. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

Anyone from CA seen the PBS series, “California Heartland”??? Seems as though they want to spread out and have a series called “America’s Heartland” featuring Midwest states.

We just received this email a few minutes ago!!!

2. Grizzledbastard

Grizzledbastard New Member

I think it's totally incredible that you have a chance to help shape the views of America. Nothing like an opportunity to spread wisdom, shed some light, and perhaps even open a few minds.

All in a days work.

So - are you gonna do it?

3. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

That should provide some motivation for those deferred maintenance projects. "The camera's are coming, the camera's are coming!" At least it would at my house.

4. JanO

JanO Well-Known Member Supporter

I've seen "California's Heartland". Believe me, it's nothing to brag about. They do cover some interesting items from time to time, but the guy that host it is a complete idiot. If they do start up an "America's Heartland", I hope they get somebody that isn't amazed at the fact that a cow gives milk! They did a segment on a dairy here in the area... He was such a goof, I'm surprised the farmer didn't throw him off the place. :haha:

5. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

It sounds good, but---JanO, do you mean to say that we might be getting another Paris Hilton type of person. Geez, I think she should be invited to move to France. I think she would fit right in. Sorry France or should that be sorry, France? lol

America's Heartland? Tell them to look at a map and then move a few hundred miles west to the center of the country, i.e. the heartland. Okay, okay, I guess that my own heart isn't in the center of my body either.

6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

7. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt that most modern homesteaders out here in the "real" Heartland would want any, nor would they appreciate any, notoriety from a show like that. It just ruins everything when the fair-weather goofballs want to join the latest lifestyle trend.

For instance:

The Gulf Coast of Mississippi used to be a great place to live and raise kids until the word got out.

Madison, WI used to be one of the top places to live until it made some list back in the mid-90s.

8. to live free

to live free Well-Known Member

i think America needs to reevaluate the idology that the "Heartland is in the midwest" If it is, America is already dead. The midwest with or should i say texas with it's 4 major cities in the top ten over weight category, illinois,mississippi all greatly over weight. the heartland where 13 million illegal immigrants are crossing our border ever year. How is this the HEARTLAND any more. MORE LIKE THE BLINDLAND TO ME. The heartland and what it was, has died with the rest of the so called UNITED STATES when THE UNITED STATES started voting for people who care about money and not the people

just my two cents worth.

9. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

Yes, we will be doing it. We feel our society is so far removed from our agrigarian roots and have accepted the call to help educate the new generations about the lost arts.

I doubt we will get any new questions that we haven't already been asked by the school children (and adults) we get here on our farm tours.

This 'lifestyle trend' has been around a long, long, long time, Steve. Not many stick it out because it is hard work and not the glamour they imagine it to be. Our farm tours help break the myths about our lifestyle. Hopefully, it encourages folks that truly want this lifestyle to strike out on their own to live it and discourages the folks that think it would be easy.

I have to admit, the remark about
    stung a bit at first, then it made me laugh.

Part of our lifestyle is trying to make our small farm pay for itself. To do that, we need to call in the city folks to buy our products at a premium price or to show them how a 'simple life' is 'hard work' on our farm tours.

I suppose we're as much "modern homesteaders" as the next person on this forum. We have 3 Jersey cows (2 in milk) & a beef steer. We raise hogs for our own freezer and for others - same goes for the chickens (both meat and egg), heritage turkeys, guineas, geese & ducks. Then there are the beehives and the organic garden. Can't forget about the hayfield worked by a team of draft horses. I make our own soap, bake bread, make beeswax candles, spin, crochet, needlework. Paul is a blacksmith, leatherworker and builds furniture (among other talents) .....

I'd consider us "modern homesteaders" and we will appreciate the extra business this show may bring us. :)

Cabin Fever - that series looks wonderful!

to live free - all of Illinois ISN't Chicago ... that's like saying all of CO is mountains! Actually, I'd like it if Chicago would succeed from the state!

10. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

This sounds really cool. When national PBS does the program, they may opt to use their own people in many of the roles. If the goofy guy is seen as too goofy for the general population, he may get the boot.

It will be interesting to see how much they film, and how much actually ends up in the televised program. I hope they give a fair picture.

11. to live free

to live free Well-Known Member

funny never said anything about chicago. the statistics are not for just chicago but for all of the state.

12. I'm telling you people they are doing this to encourage the californians to move out here. I found out the other day why my next door neighbors seem so rich. They sold there little spot out in california and received a special government low interest loan to buy up land out here. He now owns hundreds of acres out here that he breaks up to small parcels and rents any pasture land out and makes owner finance deals with the wooded area's. Much of his owner finance deals go sour on the buyers and he recieves the land back after they have paid down payments and made a couple of years worth of monthly payments. The California goverment has made them rich compared to the locals around here.