Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
UGH! Where do I start?
Okay, I had someone order some of my doll clothes and she sent me $23 via paypal. I have never used my paypal and was unfamiliar with it. I went to request a check, and it still asks me for a credit card. I don't have a credit card. I don't feel comfortable putting in a bank account number either.
So, I thought maybe I could just get something off of ebay instead of requesting it via check. I had to get some doll shoes and socks for DD's American Girl doll, and I went and paid with paypal. But they still required credit card.

Long story short, I called paypal and they wanted a verified address and I either have to put in a bank account number or fax them proof of my address, a copy of a photo id, and a copy of an email they sent me requesting the information.

the seller at ebay emailed me as I had emailed them and told them I didn't know about paypal wanting a credit card, even though thier is funds in the paypal account. She tells me eBay no longer allows payment with money orders, strictly paypal.

Anyone familiar with paypal?? And have you ever heard of eBay only allowing people to pay with paypal, no money orders??

·
Registered
460 Posts
this is what I did for our quail farm. i accept paypal. I have a paypal account and my customers can pay me thru paypal (the customer does not have to have a paypal account) i went to my local bank and open a checkling account (free checking) strickly for the quail farm when I want to transfer money from my paypal account I have it go into my quail bank account. we never keep much in the bank quail farm account just in case of any hacking from paypal. I would only recommened doing this if you plan on accepting paypal as a form of payment on a regular basis

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was my next thought. To open up a savings with bare minimum in it and then transfer the $23.
I am trying to start up my doll clothing business, and I already am an artist. But I usually only sell my artwork through the gallery Im with. It's the doll clothes I was going to do online.
What a headache!!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Courntygurl...........We make our living off of Ebay and I have never heard of someone being able to pay with Paypal and NOT have a PAypal account????

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Both parties have to have a Paypal account to use Paypal as far as I know. If not, please explain how someone can use Paypla without having an account.

G

·
Courntygurl...........We make our living off of Ebay and I have never heard of someone being able to pay with Paypal and NOT have a PAypal account????
Both parties have to have a Paypal account to use Paypal as far as I know. If not, please explain how someone can use Paypla without having an account.
You can pay via credit/debit card through paypal even if you don't have a paypal account. When you get to the paypal page, you'll see an option that says something like "click here if you don't have a paypal account". Click that and you'll go to a page where you put in your credit card details to make the purchase.

I have received credit/debit card payments this way from people who didn't have a paypal account.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
DH bought something from a different website NOT EBAY that used paypal. We do not have a paypal account. He used his debit card, somehow someone hacked his card # and charged about 24 different charges. Luckily Mastercard has credited all of them back to us. But had to have the card # changed. Sure is a headache. We have never used paypal, and never will.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I dont do ebay. I have a website "topisaw creek quail farm" when a customer wants to purchase quail they either email me or call i get their zip code to figure shipping and get back to them with the total. they have 2 options check/money order by mail or I go to my paypal account and "request payment" i enter the info such as "goods" $ amount, their email address and under notes I describe what the are ordering and submit the request. the get the email and follow the link with instruction to complete the transaction.
paypal send me 2 emails 1) my payment request has been sent then 2) when they complete the transaction. when I want to transfer my funds from my paypal account into my quail farm checking account I simply withdrawl the amount I want and within 3 days the funds are in my bank account. pay pay fees are 3% of the $ amount plus .30 I have looked into acceptimg credit cards but "merchant services want you to have an average monthly sales of $4000.00 or more plus sign a contract & purchase or lease their equipment plus their transaction fees. paypal has a virtual terminal where the customer gives you their credit card number then you enter the info on their virture terminal to complete the transaction but they charge $30 a month plus transaction fees. what I am doing now is working well for us the customer can always mail their payment in. most goes for the "request payment" from paypal.

·
Trainer of kids, dogs and horses...fears nothing
8,598 Posts
Two separate issues going on here:

#1--No, eBay no longer allows buyers to use money orders. However, if you e-mail the seller directly and ask, they might allow it. (I do).

#2.--Sellers with websites (ie, not PP) can use PayPal as their credit card processor. What this means is that if the buyer has a PP account, they can just check out like they would from eBay. If they don't have a PP acc't, they check out like they do from any other website, by plugging in their CC info.

DH bought something from a different website NOT EBAY that used paypal. We do not have a paypal account. He used his debit card, somehow someone hacked his card # and charged about 24 different charges.
this had nothing to do with PP.
If his number was indeed hacked (instead of phished, which is where you unknowingly give away your number) it didn't happen at PP. It might have occurred at the seller's website, but it's extremely unlikely it was PP.
Just like Chase Payment, Authorize.net, or any of the other CC processors out there, PP's security is through the roof. They are no more, or less, safe than any other CC processor.

I use PP for my credit card processor at my fabric website. I've used PP for over 10 years (since before they were PayPal, actually). I've had, literally, thousands of transactions through PP.
I wouldn't have chosen them for my processor if I didn't know their security was excellent.

·
Premium Member
1,594 Posts
Technically there isn't anything wrong or scary about using paypal. The reason they need your checking account number is so they can transfer funds when you request it. They are very secure. If you sell on eBay you must now take paypal (who also takes a cut of your profits). The upside of selling with paypal is you can request a debit card and use it anywhere you normally would. The grocery store, gas station, post office, etc. In fact when I was selling I requested an extra card for my son. Even after he left home and I no longer sold I transfered $ into paypal for him to use.

·
8,598 Posts
I love my PP debit card! I use it all the time.
That, the convenient integration of shipping, and the back-end financials that I can track through them, is the reason I choose to stick with PP.

PS: I've gotten two phishing emails "from" PayPal in the time between my first comment in this thread and the second. To be sure, crooks think PP users are dumb... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Two separate issues going on here:

#1--No, eBay no longer allows buyers to use money orders. However, if you e-mail the seller directly and ask, they might allow it. (I do).

#2.--Sellers with websites (ie, not PP) can use PayPal as their credit card processor. What this means is that if the buyer has a PP account, they can just check out like they would from eBay. If they don't have a PP acc't, they check out like they do from any other website, by plugging in their CC info.

this had nothing to do with PP.
If his number was indeed hacked (instead of phished, which is where you unknowingly give away your number) it didn't happen at PP. It might have occurred at the seller's website, but it's extremely unlikely it was PP.
Just like Chase Payment, Authorize.net, or any of the other CC processors out there, PP's security is through the roof. They are no more, or less, safe than any other CC processor.

I use PP for my credit card processor at my fabric website. I've used PP for over 10 years (since before they were PayPal, actually). I've had, literally, thousands of transactions through PP.
I wouldn't have chosen them for my processor if I didn't know their security was excellent.

We are thinking it was someone who worked for the company he ordered from who compermised his number. We NEVER give out the number unless it is someplace we trust. The reason he thinks it was them is because the next day is when the charges started. That is the only time we've ever ordered anything and the envoice had paypal on it. There were lots of 1.00 plus intries on it some even to Las Vegas Games. But there were also some larger stuff charged 59.00, 84.00 that type of stuff. The girl at the bank said it looked like they were just testing to see what they could get away with, then would hit us with something big. But he checkes his bank statements very well.

·
8,598 Posts
We are thinking it was someone who worked for the company he ordered from who compermised his number.
That's my thinking, too.
In fact, it's the reason I use PP.
The way I've got my processor set up, I as the seller, never do see the customer's credit card number. They're already at PP's website by the time they're entering that information.

For that matter, the only way I ever know whether they used a card at all is if it shows up in my payment info as "Not a PP customer" which means they must have used a CC. PP customers, on the other hand, can use bank accn't, CC or draft straight out of their PP balance, and I haven't a clue...

I know a bunch of websites do it this way. Both for the security issue, as well as simplicity. It costs a bit more, but I think it's worth it not to have to worry about security on my own site. The only thing my site stores, so far as customer's info, is name, address, and email.

But the merchant can set their PP processor up two ways-- One, where their site only takes name and contact info, and then move the payment on to PP's site or, they have their own security (SSL), take all of that info on their website, and then it passes to PP after entry.

·
Registered
859 Posts
"You can pay via credit/debit card through paypal even if you don't have a paypal account. When you get to the paypal page, you'll see an option that says something like "click here if you don't have a paypal account". Click that and you'll go to a page where you put in your credit card details to make the purchase.

I have received credit/debit card payments this way from people who didn't have a paypal account."

this only works on websites or ebay express. it does not work that way on ebay. you have to create a paypal account.

this fall, ebay changed their rules. a new seller is required to take paypal but established sellers have a choice of paypal, propay or their own merchant account.

you can no longer state in your auctions that you take money orders or cash.

sounds like you are a new sellers so you have no choice but to take paypal. either attach a bank account or use your debit card to your bank account and attach it as if it was a credit card.

you want to sell on ebay, you have to play by their rules. it's to protect the buyers from scam artists

I've sold on ebay since it was called auctionweb (1996). I've had a paypal account since the second day they were created. I've never had a problem with them.

oh and by the way, they also can and probably will hold funds for a new seller for 21 days now. you need to go into the ebay boards and find the paypal forum and read up on the new rules at ebay.

you can no longer treat it as a yard sale now but as a business. the wild and wooly days of anything goes are over.

·
Premium Member
1,265 Posts
Technically there isn't anything wrong or scary about using paypal. The reason they need your checking account number is so they can transfer funds when you request it. They are very secure. If you sell on eBay you must now take paypal (who also takes a cut of your profits). The upside of selling with paypal is you can request a debit card and use it anywhere you normally would. The grocery store, gas station, post office, etc. In fact when I was selling I requested an extra card for my son. Even after he left home and I no longer sold I transfered $ into paypal for him to use.
Nothing Scary about using Pay Pal ? They have Changed big time
Just go to Fee Bay's own Community Section , Click on Discussion Boards , and scroll down to Pay Pal , or Trust and Safety .
and just read the 1,000 's of Horror Stories of people being scammed by Pay Pal out of there $$$$ , both Buyers and Sellers .
You are Now Required to ship the item to Your buyer as soon as PP says You have been paid.
The only problem is that they ( can ) hold the money for 21 days before releasing it to You . ( think about it , it is in there bank , earning them interest $$ ? ). and You are out the item and postage till they release Your Funds . Or take them back from You 90 days later .
Sellers are leaving by the 1,000's , just read the facts or Google it .
Bob ( I am putting Our stuff on FreeCycle or Craigs . )
Ps.
You as a Buyer can ask to pay by check or Money Order , the Seller can not ask You to pay that way , as they are considered Very Unsafe by Pay Pal , as is the US Post Office Money Order ???

·
nosey, but disinterested
3,220 Posts
My checking account was hacked for nearly $1000 through paypal. It DOES happen. I fought with paypal for WEEKS to get my money back and bank charges paid. I got it, but not before I nearly had a stroke. Will NEVER use paypal for anything ever again.

·
plains of Colorado
4,176 Posts
Thanks!!! I sell a little on ebay and I did not know about no MO. I do buy and use paypal. I've really had pretty good luck. I usually let the money sit in paypal and use it for son's text book on half.com and other things. When I get over $200 or so, I transfer it to my checking.

·
8,598 Posts
My checking account was hacked for nearly $1000 through paypal. It DOES happen. I fought with paypal for WEEKS to get my money back and bank charges paid. I got it, but not before I nearly had a stroke. Will NEVER use paypal for anything ever again.
How was it done??
Unless you gave away the info in a phishing e-mail (which is pretty basic programming), how did they hack into your account?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts