Payment for bull services?

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by daycab, Dec 23, 2006.

1. daycab

daycab Well-Known Member

Hi all,

We finally found a relatively local Galloway bull to service our Galloway cow. The owner of the bull said there would be no charge, but I could give him a little cash if I wanted. He's keeping our cow for a month. I want to pay him for both her hay and his bull's service, but I don't want to under or over pay.Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

2. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Our AI guy charges $10 for his service and $14 for Jersey semen. If your neighborly Galloway owner has offered to run your cow with his bull for free, I wouldn't insult him with an offer of $24 + hay cost, but rather I would take notice of what he might use around his place and buy him a gift by way of "Thank You."

3. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

4. NWMO

NWMO Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about over pay/under pay.....pay what it is worth to you. I am in the same situation and know that having the cows bred and producing vs. grazing and not bred will pay off in the future.....I think the AI and semen price is appropriate plus throwing something in for hay......a settled cow would be worth the price!

5. Highland

Highland Well-Known Member

Bob Clark has the right idea.A gift like that will usally mean alot more than cash does.

Highland

6. Sher

Sher Well-Known Member

We let our friends, who had two dairy girls to cover, "borrow" our Dexter bull. They had him for two months last winter..heck he is there again now.

We didn't charge them anything. But the next time we went to our local feed/supply.. there was a two hundred dollar credit there for us. We thought that was too much..they said it was better for them than trying to AI or have their own bull.

7. Valmai

Valmai Well-Known Member

Well..... Four days ago my neighbour's galloway bull came through the fence and got all amorous with two of my girls. This morning, having done what he came to do, he went back through the fence! They were apologising, but Im not fussed. (Makes up for my lambs pretty much living in their paddock the last month or so!)

8. Jennifer L.

Jennifer L. Well-Known Member Supporter

I'd figure on a $50 for the cow being there. It's common for heifers to board for $1.50 a day around here, so that would be about $50 for the month. I don't think I'd bother giving him money for a breeding fee, though, just the cow's board.

Jennifer