Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to plant a large garden next season here, including a lot of tomatoes and peppers, but I don't have anywhere to germinate my seeds and raise them to seedlings.

I know there is a small, family owned greenhouse in town who germinates trays for people, I've seen them in the back of the greenhouse taped off when I've been shopping there.. I haven't approached anyone yet to find out if they'll do it for me or how much they will charge.

Does anyone here do this, either for others, or have someone do it for them?

If so, how much do you charge/pay?

·
I love South Dakota
5,320 Posts
I sort of plan on doing this once I have my greenhouse set up, but on a very limited bases. I have several co-workers with fruit trees, and plan on starting veggies for them in exchange for fruit in the fall. Most of them also have decent gardens, so they don't need produce, but do buy plants every year.

I plan on finding out what they want and starting that for them. Hopefully it will work out.

Cathy

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
I have done this for people. They basically just tell me what they want, and I do my best to make it happen. The amount of time it takes, the amount of plants they want, and the 'fussiness' of the plants are all factors in the cost.

There is always the risk of losing your seedlings, and I try to be clear about that with the folks I am dealing with. One year the greenhouse door blew off in the night and the things in the front rows got a little bit nipped. Another time I had 'help' with the watering and some of the peppers dampened off.

I am not growing commercially currently and try to use my plants as a barter item mostly. I don't really know what plants cost anymore, so I am not much help there.
It depends a lot on how many times they have to be transplanted, that is labor-intensive.

You should be able to find someone to help you, and likely make new friends because of it! Good luck and happy gardening!

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
You know it doesn't take a large space to start a few trays of seeds. I used an old baby crib for a while . I just took a 4 foot shop light and stuck it across the top of the crib attaching it with clamps and placed the trays on the mattress it worked beautifully. I think it held 4 trays of 72 tomato and pepper plants as I recall. I even started trays of onions in it. You also can buy a cheap set of shelves and mount shop lights under the shelf and use that. Harris is selling something similar for $800 but you can probably make something similar for a lot less.
My local Greenhouse sells me trays of started plants for $10 a flat but i have no choice as to varieties. Good luck.
Linda

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You know it doesn't take a large space to start a few trays of seeds. I used an old baby crib for a while . I just took a 4 foot shop light and stuck it across the top of the crib attaching it with clamps and placed the trays on the mattress it worked beautifully. I think it held 4 trays of 72 tomato and pepper plants as I recall. I even started trays of onions in it. You also can buy a cheap set of shelves and mount shop lights under the shelf and use that. Harris is selling something similar for $800 but you can probably make something similar for a lot less.
My local Greenhouse sells me trays of started plants for $10 a flat but i have no choice as to varieties. Good luck.
Linda
We really have no room at all..our house is dinky and we don't have a basement. :p

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
You can winter sow your veggie seeds outside. All you need is plastic milk jugs, tape, and potting soil. Mother nature will take care of the germinating for you and the plants are strong because they started outside already. No need to pay somebody to do it for you. You can sit the milk jugs on the ground outside and leave them there all winter. Come spring the seeds will know when to come up.

·
Just howling at the moon
6,586 Posts
We set one of these up in our house with grow lights for starting plants. Doesn't take much room and we have 3 people living in under 800 sq ft.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
You can winter sow your veggie seeds outside. All you need is plastic milk jugs, tape, and potting soil. Mother nature will take care of the germinating for you and the plants are strong because they started outside already. No need to pay somebody to do it for you. You can sit the milk jugs on the ground outside and leave them there all winter. Come spring the seeds will know when to come up.
I don't know where you live but I am in oklahoma so its not terribly cold and I can't do it that way. I get volunteers every year but at least half of those seeds come up and croaked because they were too early and the milk jugs aren't sufficient to protect them. you can do this with wall o waters to some extent but definitly can't leave them out all year. using those plants to save seed is even worse folly becuase you are then selecting for plants that are slow to germinate. seeds know when to come up by the temp of the soil but just a few days of warm weather and then oops back to 20 degrees and they are goners. I wouldn't risk my seed stock on this.

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
I'm in the process of converting a childs swing set into a small greenhouse just so I can germinate much of my own seeds. It would save a lot of money and insure that you have plenty to plant.

I've already removed all the swings and slide from the swing set and built a 2 X 4 frame around it. I just need to build a door on it and a few shelves in it and cover it with plastic. Figure I'd just use a small heater inside to keep it warm enough to germinate the seeds.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
The person who asked the question is from Michigan. This method works best where there is a real winter.
You do have to check on the seeds in the spring and pay some attension to the containers. However they care for themselves during the winter. I have not had any seeds lost due to freezing temps in the spring. As long as I left the top on the containers and taped shut they were fine.
I always end up giving plants away as I have most all my seeds come up and grow more plants than I need.
I do not have to harden off my plants, because they were raised outside and are used to being outside.
You also have to check the seeds started under lights. You can't just start those seeds and forget them either. Whatever method you use to start seeds does take some effort and does come with some risk.
I am in Kansas btw.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
Do you have a friend with a bigger house? or a greenhouse like area in a room? Upstairs bedroom, etc.? maybe you buy the seeds, she raises the seedlings, you split what grows?

putting trays on top of a fridge with a light over it works really well, btw. unused space usually. It's warm and there's always an electric outlet there for the fridge somewhere. All it takes is 1 4ft florescent light fixture. Of course, you have to remember they're up there.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts