Pay for taking surveys?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by PonderosaQ, Feb 13, 2005.

1. PonderosaQ

PonderosaQ Well-Known Member Supporter

I remember a while back there was a discussion about getting paid to take surveys. I haven't been able to find it in the archives. I've been looking at some of the sites that offer you this opportunity and wonder if it is worth trying. Any of you who have tried it please tell me your opinion, along with who you were signed up with. Not looking to make big $ but a little extra each month would be nice. Thanks,

PQ

2. Breezie

Breezie Active Member

Honey, don't bother. Hubby has tried it, my mother has tried it, my mother-in-law has tried it, I have tried it. A bunch of different companies. None of us have seen one paycheck, coupon, discount on goods or services, thank you for playing-anything- yet. Unless you really like to give your opinion and love spyware on your computer(a few do this-some are smart and don't), then look to other ways. Because this one isn't it.

3. BobBoyce

BobBoyce Well-Known Member

Don't bother. Been there, done that, waste of time.

Most of the time after you answer a non-paid "pre-survey", you are told you don't meet the demographics, the survey quota has been filled (even though you respond as soon as you get the survey invitation email), or you are not in the target market for the "paid survey", so they waste your time for nothing. When you actually do get to participate, the pay rate is very low for the time invested, if you even get paid at all (most just enter you in a drawing to win a prize if you complete the survey). It's not worth the time, aggravation, and spam email that evolves from you giving them permission (by joining) to supply your email address to their "marketing partners". :no:

Bob

4. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

If you can get into pinecone surveys, they are legit. Go to their website: www.pineconeresearch.com and look at their little logo and stuff, to help you recognize their banner if you ever come across it. You get paid 5 dollars a survey everytime. You never get sent a survey you are not eligable for. You get about 2 a month. Too bad there aren't more like them. I waited for months for a banner! Their banner said they were specifically looking for my age group and everything, I got right in!

You can't join unless you find a banner.

5. Steph in MT

Steph in MT Well-Known Member

I've just started doing surveys and have picked up a little cash already. Check out this link on a Freebie forum board and see what some folks are pulling in. I was shocked! :eek:
    http://www.freesamplesite.com/ydf/showthread.php?threadid=151577
    I've done a couple of product tests at $20 a shot and have gotten some neat things to test even without $ compensation. It's fun if you're into that kind of thing. Here's another link form the same site with a list of survey companies others have tried.
    http://www.freesamplesite.com/ydf/showthread.php?threadid=74816
    My beat advice is to sign up for as many as you can of these verified ones and you'll increase your chances of getting chosen for surveys.
    Have fun! :)
    Steph

6. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

http://acop.com/ I've been doing American Consumer Opinion for a couple of years. I seldom make more than $20 a month but it takes only a few minutes. I have one email address for them. My thought behind a separate address was that when I started being spammed I'd delete that address, create a new one and update my info. I've never been spammed.

7. jelinidas

jelinidas Member

Not all are a waste of time, just most. I do these all the time and do make some small $$$. One time I was paid 100.00 in a random drawing! I think that one was surveyspot. It can be fun if you have the time just dont quit your day job.

8. uyk7

uyk7 Well-Known Member

I have earned $15 at Survey Savvy. If you were to sign up with the link http://www.surveysavvy.com/?id=1339554, I will make a couple of bucks when you, or someone you sign up, complete a survey. If you don't sign up under my account, you do not make any more money, it just means that Survey Savvy keeps the extra money. Right now there a 8 people under me and someone has 2 people under them. I would certainly appreciate anyone signing up under me but if you don't want to, just go to surveysavvy.com and sign up under your own name.

9. CraftyDiva

CraftyDiva Is anybody here?

This is like anything else, the more effort you put in, the more you'll get back out of it. There are no free rides. Most people sign up for survey companies and never take a survey. If you expect to make big money after you hit 3 buttons, it ain't going to happen.

Like with anything, you start at the bottom and have to prove your serious, by taking those crappy surveys. Once there (higher up the ladder) you'll be offered better surveys.

I've averaged $100 a month last year taking surveys, mostly cash but Amazon GC as well (I like craft books but not spending $30 to buy them). I've tested many new products. Some never made it to the shelves, some did. I'm glad I was able to put my input in on them.

First, I think women have a better chance then men in making money doing these (women shop and buy the products). Second, households with children will get more surveys (sometimes asking the children to take a survey themselves), some of the products are aimed at children.

I must be honest, this year has been a slow year for me, not too many surveys being offered. Maybe it's me, maybe it's just business is slow. Don't know. But I will continue getting those small checks and Amazon GC's, just not as much. Business may pick up and I'll be back where I was a year ago. BTW I don't waste my time with points for prizes companies, cash only. :D

10. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

After reading numberous opinions here about the benefits of taking surveys I opted to give it a try.

The site right up front said they would not pay for surveys that were not completed. I worked my way through the first survey UNTIL I got to the very last page. For whatever reason the final page would not allow the survey to be submitted. I suspect this was their way of getting all of the information they wanted without having to pay for it. Of course I'm now getting all sorts of SPAM wanting my opnions and other "Free" offers of products. Sorry that I wasted my time attempting to get a few bucks of cash!

11. TnMtngirl

TnMtngirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I like the surveys and do several a day.I have recieved products to test and have redemed my points for money($20) and a pair of sony headphones so far this year.I won $100 in a random drawing last year.I have joined at least 5 different survey sites.There is always a chance of winning something,and it beats playing the lottery.Mary

12. MountainMama

MountainMama Well-Known Member

I've tried many of them and have never received a dime except from opinionplace.com. If you are an AOL member they allow you to take surveys and credit your account the next day in the amount of the survery. I get my online almost paid for monthly by doing this.

All the rest of them I fill out the answers and either the computer screen goes blank or they tell me that I don't qualify after the survery is over.

GOOD LUCK & let us know if there are any that REALLY pay.

MountainMama

13. CraftyDiva

I've had that happen as well, but there usually is somewhere on the survey a "If your having problems taking this survey, contact........". If the survey was not submitted, they didn't get it to pay you. As far as spam, depends on the companies you sign up with, some spam, some don't. It's always smart to sign up for a throw-a-way email account just for this reason. Try Walla.com for a free 1GB email account, or any free email account for surfing the web.

14. sidepasser

sidepasser Well-Known Member

Hey Diva, I get paid too! I average between 50 and 100 a month and that doesn't include my Amazon coups or my points that I redeem for gifts. Also I do the www.sendearnings.com and register and do the trial offers and get paid for those (just remember to cancel or you will be billed, I keep a calendar for cancellation dates) and they do offer lots of free trials.

I keep a running total of about 15 different survey companies and some never pay, but offer points for redemption against airplane tickets, flowers, hotel stays, etc.

I don't plan to get rich, but am stashing the bucks in a special account, I nearly have enough now to pay for the fence posts for my dressage arena..but you do have to put in the time and effort and start at the bottom.

I answer every survey, and now I get offers no lower than $5 and usually in the 10 to 20 buck range...nice for 15 to 20 minutes of my time per survey. It took me about 6 months to move up to that level though.

Now I spend about an hour to an hour and half doing surveys and get paid for it, I do it either early in the am or late at night so it doesn't interfere with farm or child or work.

Sidepasser

15. PonderosaQ

Thanks for all your great input everyone. I appreciate it. I had been looking at sites you join like Survey Platinum, looks like I'm as well off just trying some of the sites mentioned. I have already done the for points/prizes bit and thought a few extra $ for spending money would be nice. Which sites are you registered with sidepasser if I can ask?

Thanks,
    PQ

16. CraftyDiva

17. PonderosaQ

Thank you everyone for your input, which pretty much mirrored my own thoughts. Extra thanks to those of you who listed sites for me to explore and Crafty Diva your list will keep me busy for quite some time.

PQ