Pay attention to your critters

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jackie c, Dec 30, 2004.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

To add to my last post about tidal waves, seems the wild animals in the Asian disaster fled before the waves hit. We had a storm here a few years ago, called a Durashio(sp) It knocked over trees in a 30 mile swath. Just before it hit my place my dogs were going crazy, panicking, about 15 minutes later the storm hit.

2. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

I have heard, several times, of horses that started acting scared and panicky several hours before an earthquake struck.

3. DrippingSprings

DrippingSprings In Remembrance

We had a F4 tornado come through here a couple years ago. My two dogs that usually cant be made to come inside sat at the door howling and scratching until we let them in. I went outside to see if something had spooked them and saw the horses running full tilt towards the larger holler at the back of the pasture. I flipped on the tv and saw the warnings and we made it to the storm shelter with about five minutes to spare. That thing was almost 1800 YARDS wide and stayed on the ground for almost 60 miles. We got lucky and only lost a barn and one poultry house. So on those weather days I really watch them critters when I am out in the field

4. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

My two dogs that usually cant be made to come inside sat at the door howling and scratching until we let them in.

Exactly! And lay on the floor cowering!

5. Star In N.C.

Star In N.C. Well-Known Member

My grandmother had a cat that was like that.
    You could not get that cat to move (even for feedings) unless there was a storm, then it would go nuts when a Heavy storm come our way.
    We did not need a weather man just her cat.
    It was always right.:)

Star

6. JustinThyme

JustinThyme Active Member

So maybe the meterologists have it all wrong .They should reprogram the weatherforecasting supercomputers to emulate a dog as opposed to tracking isogonals ,when the computer scampers under the desk take cover!

7. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

The year we brought two of our horses here, 2000, we had a inline tornado that took out over 50 trees on our property. It was a real nice day and all of a sudden it looked like rain. So we went inside to eat and it happened in less than 4 minutes. Our horses hadn't been here a week yet and they even had their fly masks on. My husband ran outside and then ran back in because there wasn't anything he could do for the horses. Trees in their paddock fell every which way and I mean BIG trees. We live surrounded by BIG trees and they were falling everywhere. They came up by their roots. We weren't even thinking about ourselves just about our horses. We both thought they must have been killed or even badly hurt. But as soon as it stopped - there they both were, with their masks on at the gate looking for us!!!! It renewed my faith in God as I was praying hard for them to be spared. We had no warning at all. Six trees fell on our house - but this house was built in the 1850's - when they knew how to build a house.

8. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Makes sense to me.
    My kuvasz started panting heavily and abnormally excitable during a low pressure event. You could bet it ended with a severe thunderstorm at the least or a damaging hail storm.
    One of my small dogs now gets upset and hides under the bed prior to a nasty storm. I also think they hear thunder and the storm coming long before we do.