PAWS legislation--Bad for bunny breeders!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by rabbitgal, Sep 20, 2005.

1. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Don't know how many of you have heard about this, but your fiends in Washington want to amend the Animal Welfare Statute to regulate people who sell pets at retail. The Pet Animal Welfare Statute (PAWS, S. 1139 and HR 2669) will affect anyone who sells at retail--that means directly to the owner--rabbits and other animals as pets (possibly breeding stock too, since there are no exemptions for breeding rabbits) if they GROSS more than $500 annually. Small scale dog and cat breeders are specifically exempt. Those who fall in the over-$500 catagory would be subject to USDA licensing and inspection. Oh, and if you're a USDA-licensed "commercial breeder", will your city zoning allow a business in a residential area? What if you rescue pets and charge an adoption fee?

Supposedly PAWS targets "puppy mill"-type breeders that sell directly to pet owners, but a lot of other pet species will be affected. Now this won't affect you if you are selling live rabbits for food, but right now there are no specific exemptions for breeding stock. See the danger? Don't let the AKC and animal rights activists tell you how you should raise a quality rabbit. PAWS is NOT on the books yet, so it's not too late to stop it. Please call, write, email your senators and representatives and ask them to vote "NO" on PAWS (S1139/HR2669)

If you want to find out more, check out these websites.

To view the actual text of the bill: http://pet-law.com/paws/paws.html (this is what really convinced me, although the legal-eze is rather hard to understand)

Pet legilative website, lots of excellent info about PAWS: http://pet-law.com/

Lots of links to articles against PAWS: http://www.dfow.org/paws.htm

Excellent explanation of PAWS in PDF (Acrobat reader) format suitable for printing and handing out as a flyer: http://pet-law.com/paws/easypaws.pdf

2. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

Faxing is also a good method of communication.

Lobbyists and aides are saying that the least effective method is
    email. Most people who email report receiving a response which
    "thanks" them for the support of the bill! :bash:

I'm glad to see someone else concerned about this bill. It has been
    largely ignored on many forums or completely misunderstood as
    "It won't affect me."

Linda Welch
    http://www.texasrabbitconnection.com
    Katrina's Rabbit Relief Fund

3. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

I guess the most effective means of getting in touch with your senators/representatives is to write, or better yet schedule a personal appointment (haha). But seriously, IF you could get an appointment, and IF you could present yourself and your cause well, that would have a much bigger impact than any number of emails. Your representative will remember a personal visit or painstakingly written letter much sooner than an email. Come on, excercise your right as a citizen and let your senators and representatives know just what you think of PAWS! Animal rights activists are a MINORITY. They only succeed in their agenda because some people aren't willing to stick up for themselves.

Seriously folks, you may think that PAWS won't effect you, especially if you're just raising rabbits for meat in the backyard, but believe me, it WILL, if not right now, then sometime in the future. The Animal Welfare Act was originally written to regulate COMMERCIAL dog breeders, i.e. "puppy mills" selling to pet stores. Now people want to amend it to include people who are just hobbyists!

My biggest fear is that if the regulations begin here, where will they end? Some states have already tried to outlaw drinking milk from your own cow. Will it be illegal someday to butcher your own livestock too?

4. Lilandra

Lilandra talk little, listen much

my experience with Farm Bureau has taught me that if 7 or more people email, write or fax - send corrispondance to a representitive... they will look into the matter.
    You need to follow up with it to make sure that something has happened... the good reps will email you back or send you a letter letting you know whats going on.

good luck, you have me emailing our reps here in iowa...

5. Carrie C

Carrie C Well-Known Member

I raise rexes for meat and get about $200 dollars after feed and such a year. I always thought PAWS had their feet on the ground. Guess not. I'm going to go get my reps numbers and start on it ASAP :soap: . I'm so FRUSTURATED! :bash:

6. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

Guess it's time for me to dust off that old soapbox again and start contacting the State Rep..... 4-H clubs, local farmers markets etc....
    Does anyone else get sick of having to defend the right to live as our grandparents did? I think this is just one more way the Gov't wants money not only for themselves, but to attempt to keep money in the hands of the rich, big commercial "farmers". :grit:
    Kaza

7. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Well if you look at the history of PAWS and what it was originally written to legislate, you can see how ARA's have tightened the legislative noose over the years, making it more and more restrictive. When first put on the books, it was only designed to regulate commercial dog breeders selling wholesale (to pet shops, etc.). Now they want to regulate RETAIL pet sales. So hobby pet breeders get hit too.

If you are selling for food or fiber, PAWS won't affect you right now, because food/fiber rabbits are kind of considered livestock rather than pets.