pawpaws

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by tnborn, Sep 22, 2005.

1. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Hey, I ate my first pawpaws yesterday. They tasted different than I expected,but I still enjoyed them. So, I do have seeds now. I am planning on planting those by the creek, and spring.Has anyone else ever ate pawpaws? Does any one know how to store or keep them for later use?When is a peek time to harvest them?
    tnborn

2. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

I just picked them off the tree on Sunday. There were a lot of blossoms in the spring but only four pawpaws developed. I do not care for them, it's something about creamy egg custard from a tree that turns me off. I usually let them fall off, but I wanted my brother to taste one so I pulled the remaining three. They are ripe when there is a dark line running down it and the fruit feels soft to the touch. I would not think the fruit keeps too well. I refrigerated the one for my husband and it was OK..

I have no idea where I got this recipe and I have not made it, so I have no idea if it is good.....

Pawpaw Jam

3 1/2 cups pawpaw pulp
    1/2 cup water
    1 box Sure-jel
    juice of one lemon
    5 1/2 cups sugar

Put pawpaw pulp and 1/2 cup water in pan. Add lemon juice and Sure-jel. Bring to a boil. Add sugar. Bring to a rolling boil and boil 3 minutes. Seal in jars.

3. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

Thank you Kathy.
    tnborn

4. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

I just tasted my first pawpaw about a month ago. DH found a little patch of them on our new farm while he was bush hogging. They're interesting. They are really sweet with a creamy texture but they do have sort of a musky undertone that is kinda yuck. I understand now about people saying that eating one is enough for them till next year.
    Does anyone here like them?
    Persimmons are next - I do like them.

5. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

I just had my first pawpaw last weekend. My SisIL has some acreage down by Ironton and she found one. It was really good! We kept the seeds to - don't know if they're grow real well but may give it a try. I'd eat another one!

Nance

6. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

We have four pawpaw patches on our land - one mature stand and three that are just starting.

If you are going to plant the seeds, you may want to do it in the fall. I believe they need to be overwintered to help with germination.

We love having pawpaw trees, and best of all, the goats don't nibble the trees.

Lynda

7. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

OK, I've seen them in the stores, but wasn't sure how to eat them. Do you peel them like a mango ? The seed should be taken out, but what about the area around the seeds, do you scoop it out like a cantalope or spit the seeds like a watermelon?

8. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

Sis just cut around the middle like you would an avocado or mango, then we scooped out the inside with spoon and kinda spit the seeds back into the spoon as we sucked the fruit off of them. Very tasty!

Thanks for the planting info - any input on preferred habitat ie. shade, sun, wet, dry?

Nance

9. tnborn

tnborn Well-Known Member

I have noticed that they are found in shady areas near a creek bank. Maybe loamy type soil.Usually some type of moisture area.
    tnborn

10. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I grew up eating them in Eastern KY.Just eat everything inside spit out the seeds like watermelon,Thats what I did.I am missing them now that I read these posts.

11. VictoriaAnn

VictoriaAnn Victoria Ann

Some good info on germinating and growing here:

http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/pawpaw/ppg.htm

Would anyone be willing to send me some fresh seeds in a ziploc baggie with some moist peat moss? We tried to germinate some seeds several years ago, but evidently we went at it all wrong. PM me if you would be willing. We don't have access to seeds anymore.

12. MaKettle

MaKettle Well-Known Member

I've been trying to establish some paw paws for the past five years. Got good germination from seeds one year, but all the seedlings died. Got practically no germination the next year (they were sent to me in an envelope, so probably dried out), and no success. Third year got three healthy seedlings that survived the winter and planting out. Two of those have died. Bought nursery plants and one is trying to decide if it will live or die. That article on paw paws is very interesting. We are short 15" rainfall this year, so even with hauling buckets of water out the little trees, with the heat we have been having, they probably did not get enough water. The three surviving trees are struggling in heavy soil. May never get to taste a paw paw. :shrug:

13. christy

christy Well-Known Member

In 1996 my grandfather passed away, the last thing he wanted was a pawpaw. I had never heard of them then but he wanted one. My Dh and I went everywhere looking for one and could never find one. I would love to plant pawpaws on our land in honor of grandpa. We live on his land, so if anyone could get me seeds let me know also.

14. Lararose

Lararose Adams Nebraska

15. Fonzie

Fonzie Well-Known Member

I gotta recommend Neal @ http://www.petersonpawpaws.com/
    He has personally developed and selected three great varieties for sale. He has an excellent reputation on the internet. I highly advise that you at least check him out.

BTW, My "Overleese" Pawpaw gave me some excellent fruit this year. Just remember you have to hand pollinate them if you want a decent fruit set.

Da Fonz

16. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

Well, TNborn, I have an answer for you about whether goats will eat pawpaw fruits.

They will gang up and mug you for a chance to nab one out of your hand while you're picking!

Lynda