Pawlonia (sp?) Empress Trees

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by cc-rider, Jul 23, 2004.

1. cc-rider

cc-rider Baroness of TisaWee Farm Supporter

I know these are considered a trash tree elsewhere, but I really NEED something that grows extremely fast, and is cheap. I need to put in a row of trees about 1200 foot long. I can buy the seeds on eBay.

Question -- can they be grown from seeds in a timely manner? To buy the 6" plants are about $10 each!!!!

Thanks!
    Chris in Ohio

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Are you sure they will go extremely fast in your area? I've read that in some areas they will grow and spread widely, but never attain much height because the weather is too cool for them. The hybrid poplar is extremely fast growing and does well in the cooler climates. It might be a better choice.

3. cc-rider

Can those be bought small (read: cheap)??

4. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

We have found Catalpa trees grow really quick from seed (2 feet in the first year), but the Pawlonia's are hard to germinate. Osage orange grows quick and thick - great hedging. Native bamboos are the clumping type and also grow quickly. Elder trees grow quickly but are not particularly strong or tall - you can make wine and jelly from the fruits though.
    What we do is look around at what is growing wild and then collect the seeds from them. I prefer trees with a food purpose like hawthorn, blackthorn, filbert etc., but those are harder to find for free.

5. VAkat

VAkat Member

I totally agree with them being hard to germinate. I've tried several times, no luck. The seeds are extremely small, almost dust like!!! They rot quickly! How about willow? Mine have grown extremely fast & when I decide we need more I just cut off a branch & stick it in the ground!
    Anyway, not sure how cheap you are looking for but this place has empress trees for 4.99 each. Check their e-bay listing, sometimes you can save a buck or two if they are having a sales on overstock. Everything I've purchased from them has grown quickly!
    http://plantranch.net/trees.htm
    Best of luck!
    KAT

6. Cyngbaeld

You can prob get some cuttings for free. Keep your eyes open. If you see them on someone's property, stop and ask if you can get a few cuttings. Or watch for some planted along a road side. I've taken cuttings from trees that were on the road. You might also see if somone on the board that has some would give you some cuttings. They are easy to root. You don't start them from seed.

Here is a link you might find helpful:

http://www.auri.org/poplars/poplars.htm

7. cc-rider

8. cc-rider

That's an interesting site! 3 years for a crop. I will try getting some cuttings, but I really can't tell a poplar from an elm... or you get the picture. Looks like a trip to the library is in store for me. Think I'll run to the barter board and see if someone wants to trade some starts from that -- or willow -- for strawberry plants or something. :)

Thanks Cygnbaeld... I can always count on you (and many others!) to answer my posts!

9. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

I have a poplar tulip tree that's just seeding up with fruit. :) It's a truly magnificent creature, just beautiful!

I don't know how easily the seeds germinate, but think I might try it myself.

In any case, if anyone else is interested in trying some of these seeds, let me know. It will be a few weeks til they're ready. But there's plenty.

These are very hardy trees which grow to be VERY VERY tall --- mine was 100' at least before we had to top it out (electric wires) --- it's sprung back gangbusters ad is simply huge and fat and gorgeous. :)

Here's a link, for interested parties>
    http://www.handsontheland.org/classroom/07/Tulip/Tree.htm

10. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, elder trees and elderberry bushes are the same - guess it depends how big them are when you talk about them :)
    You can propegate from cuttings (softwood in the summer, oh that's now! lol), or seed, or from the shoots that come up at the base.

11. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

Tulip trees must be very easy to start from seed by the way they come up everywhere they are not wanted here. As I said in a previous post the Chinese Empress tree came up by itself and grew to 40 feet in two years. My son has two on his property and they are very, very tall and have not shown any signs of spreading and becoming a nuisance. Rita

12. Cyngbaeld

There is a catalpa tree in my back yard here with seed pods, but they aren't ready yet . If anybody wants any let me know.

Countrygirrrl I wouldn't mind having some of those tulip poplar tree seeds.