Paw Paws

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by popscott, Aug 24, 2006.

1. popscott

popscott Well-Known Member Supporter

I've got a hillside full of pawpaws about to ripen. I've put many in colander and sauced them up last year. Had different recipes from the net, liked the nut bread the best. The pie I could take or leave. I’m planning on taking some to the local small fruit stand and see if people would buy them on a trial basis. Any other ideas on their use? What would be a reasonable price for a bunch of pawpaw?

Thanks,
    Pam and Scott
    http://www.justkiddinfarm.com/

2. poorboy

poorboy Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in the Misery state, but I've yet to see on, only heard the ole timers talk about em..:-}

3. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

We freeze the pulp and use it to make ice cream later in the year. Pretty much just substitute them for mushed bananas in any recipe.

Lynda

4. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

oops...was thinking of persimmons. :)

5. MELOC

how many seedlings do you have? :) they are few and far between here in pa where i live. i have a few trees but they are all clones from the same tree and i never get fruit.

6. Nature_Lover

Nature_Lover Well-Known Member

We have a bumper crop in our area, about eight patches in our forty acres.
    This year they are really large and plump, just not ripe yet.

Can I pick them before they fall? (the wildlife always get them first!)
    I always heard that you have to wait until they were fully ripe, umm the animals didn't hear that one.

Meloc, I'd offer to send you some females to plant with your males, but the little ones don't have fruit or spring flowers, and I can't tell them apart.
    (Assuming yours don't have the black flowers in the spring?)
    Short of digging up the runner while the parent plant is in bloom or fruit, I don't know how to sex the saplings.
    Would you be able to sprout/graft a cutting?

7. MELOC

liz, thanks for your help in several areas...

i had blossoms a-plenty this spring. i have noticed several blossoms in the past. i know that pollenation can be difficult for paw-paws, especially if they are clones from the same plant. i am definately not an expert but i think i remember someone telling me that paw-paws have both male and female blossoms? the timing of the bloom of both flowers is the problem? maybe? not sure without hitting the web sites again. i think the gist of what i read was that trees of different parents are needed. i honestly don't know.

i know that my tree suckers like you would not believe. i cut down about 6-8 suckers and have about a dozen more to cut as they are forming a thicket and shading other stuff. (they do provide a handy natural trellis for my hops, lol) anyhow, i get the idea that they would be easy to grow if i had stock from other plants...in any form.

maybe we can arrange a trade or barter of some kind.

8. tillandsia

tillandsia Well-Known Member

Wish I had some!
    Here is some good info about growing pawpaws:

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pawpaw.html
    http://www.pawpaw.kysu.edu/FAQ.htm

http://experts.about.com/e/p/pa/Pawpaw.htm

9. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Any fruit you are selling that is not available on a national level or easy to get should command a good price - if you can reach the "foodies" who like to experiment.
    I would see what the exotic fruit is selling for at the local supermarket and go from there...

10. vicker

vicker Well-Known Member

We are haveing a bumper crop this year also :dance: First good crop since we've been here. We've had a few fruits, but this year they are loaded down.

11. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

12. MELOC

i guess i will have to sneak out to green ridge road in WV/MD and diversify my paw-paw patch, lol.

13. tamsam

tamsam Well-Known Member

We live near Clarksburg WV and have been looking for pawpaw trees for several years now. If anyone has any to give up or sale please let us know. Thanks in advance. Sam

14. Nature_Lover

Nature_Lover Well-Known Member

Ok, later today I'm going out to check the fruit. I'll see what I can get as far as viable cuttings for Meloc to graft (I don't even know if they will take, this time of year ? ) In the meantime, let me know what diameter cuttings you want, and I'll see what's there.

I'll also experiment with digging saplings for you, tamsam, however, I have read that the first thing a runner does is send down a tap root, then it sends up a sprout. I'm not really equipped to dig deep taproots in our soil, I'll see what I can get, though. (The dry river-and-creek bottoms are like concrete this year with the drought.)

I'm in east-central Missouri, border of zones 5 & 6.

PM me your zip codes, and I'll find out shipping costs. I'll be back Monday morning, and plan on collecting and shipping Thursday if you folks really want paw paws.

popscott, sorry about the thread drift, I hope you don't mind...

15. gottahaveagoat

gottahaveagoat Well-Known Member

I found several trees with fruit on them!!! They are not ready yet, still hard but will be watching close til they are. Every year we try to look and we are always to late.

16. MELOC

if you have any small saplings, try to pull one out by hand. sort of pull sideways, first one way and then the other. they seem to root shallow for me while still young. if you get one out easily, top it off to a reasonable shipping size, even just the crown and some roots, and i will try to plant and nourish the little baby, lol. as much as they like to sucker out, i bet a crown would send up new shoots. i will gladly pay for the shipping and maybe send you some soap or maybe some jelly or maple syrup.