Homesteading Forum banner

Pavers?

798 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Rodeo's Bud 
#1 ·
Well the day dreaming has set in again, I am thinking about my future retirement and place where be spending rest of my life ( I hope) So to keep dreaming I was thinking about my concrete side walks where I live now. Looking at them they are so lifeless,has no character,just not much to them. Well since this will be my last go round I want my small humble place to have little country style instead of dog trails to garage and around the pole barn. So I was thinking about going with some kind of pavers in some kind of pattern. I do want to put something about 2' wide around the pole barn to help keep rain water away from the slab and dang animals from digging under the slab. Yes I am still going with some kind of water control to help get water onto the down side of the bldg. Any ideals or links or even to a Youtube to help educate me on pavers and what is out there. I do see some out there on the used market which may be a big or very little savings. Looking for suggestions or any other ideals without pouring more concrete.

#3 ·
Your right,once retired (if that day comes) I'll have 6 Saturdays and 1 Sunday to work on it.So don't mind the work,but I don't want to give county reason to raise taxes so I do need to be careful about that. Property taxes where I'm at now is reason for needing to move plus country life is so much better

#5 ·
Depends on what you are looking at.

You can get cheap red or grey 12x12s for way under a buck. Or you can get nice ones for 5 bucks. The price is all over the place.

Whatever you do, make sure you use the locking sand that you wet. It has a "glue" in it that helps keep them locked in place.

Also, if you will be driving on them, it will take a bit more prep and work to get it solid. A much better underbase of compacted gravel and then multi purpose type sand. Don't use play sand.

And it is a ton of work. Bigger pavers go much quicker.

#9 ·
Pavers make great walkways and are a good way to go. Pretty easy for a do it yourselfer to install and look nice, compared to pouring concrete.

I've been a builder for 40 years and never heard of anything called "locking sand", sounds like nonsense. You simply need to place pavers on a well compacted, accurately leveled bed of sand or finely crushed stone aggregate. Most of what I've seen installed was placed over mason sand, then after being laid, they broomed mason sand on surface to fill in all of the cracks between pavers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.