Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are fabulous....big as beefstakes,sweet and tasty. They outgrew my stakes. The Romas are coming on now,too. Thanks for lettting us try these...are the Wis 55's open pollinated? Everyone we've given them to really likes 'em. DEE

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
I got some seeds of the Wis 55 from Martin and had 100% germination from them to grow seedlings that now are about a foot tall or better with blossoms in the garden. Being in the north zone 3, it will be a while yet before I get any fruit to pick off them.
I'm going to try and save seed as they are open pollinated to my understanding. If it's a good grower here, I'm sure it will be an annual standard to grow. I always liked celebrity that was reliable as a hybrid, so I'll compare how it goes between those two varieities in my tomato garden. Thanks again Martin for the opportunity to try and grow these. So far, so good.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Great to hear, I have some of his Romas that are so full of fruit they are pulling out of the cages and still a couple weeks from ripening. Thanks Martin!
KB

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
WI55 is definitely a stable variety. Been that way for almost 65 years! It was the last major all-purpose commercial tomato developed before the hybrids replaced most of them within the next decade. The many here who've grown it know how good it can be. What I'm waiting for now is feedback from WI55 Gold. The few who grew it last year all agree that it's one of the best yellow tomatoes that they ever grown. They would get no argument from anyone in our garden complex. At least 100 each of WI55 Gold and Paquebot Roma plants very quickly vanished as soon as I made them available this spring. No WI55 from me this year since they were available from every local greenhouse and garden center around here just like in "the old days"!

A side story here in regards to WI55. With the expansion of a lot more plots this, perhaps 40 new gardeners who didn't know me. I asked one person, not quite as old as me, what varieties of tomatoes he was growing since he had about 2 dozen nice plants. He informed me that they were the greatest tomato ever developed, Wisconsin 55. Then he proceeded to tell me how it was almost lost but that somehow it was brought back by "some old geezer" who rescued it from possible extinction. He almost tripped over his lower jaw when informed that I was that "old geezer"!

Martin

1 - 4 of 4 Posts