Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen free patterns that specifically say you cannot make items to sell for profit from their pattern.

But if I purchase a pattern on a Etsy or Ebay and when I download it there is no special instruction as far as being for personal use only, can I make items from the pattern and sell them? Nothing in the auction/sale page specifies either.

Or even if I purchase on Amazon a published book with patterns and there is nothing stating to the contrary? Can I sell these items if I make them from the pattern?

I was talking about making some items to sell later when I get better at knitting and someone told me I should ask about this. I didn't even think about it...

The patterns have a copyright on the pattern itself, but nothing about producing an item from the pattern and selling it. I would think if you cannot sell the items you make, they would specify this like the free patterns do?

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
People selling patterns may have different rules. One person I bought some bootie patterns from said that I could use the pattern for myself or for gifts but if I were to re-sell ones I made I had to give her credit and list her Etsy website on a tag on the item. Another person was fine with me re-selling at craft fairs but not on-line on Etsy. If I wanted to sell online I had to do it on another site and credit her site and link to it.

Other people won't let you re-sell at all. Still others will charge a higher price if you want to use the pattern for resale.

IIRC, BBC had to jump through some hoops with someone to be able to re-sell the items made from her pattern. I think it may have been a project bag? I'm sure she'll hop in and explain.

Either way, I think the best thing to do is to simply ask the person you buy the pattern from.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts