Patience wearing thin with this dog

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by Prismseed, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Prismseed

Prismseed Self-sufficient newb!

Sister got a pug for her little boys. Sister underestimated time and responsibilities of a dog. Dog spent most of 2 1/2 years locked in a crate. Our dog died of cancer sister pushes dog off on us.

Can't get her to stop peeing in the house. Even put her on specialized food. We've had to replace our living room furniture and after today's incident a new bed is now on the list.

Home is steadily becoming a lockdown prison of gates and rooms with nothing appealing to pee on.

She is such a sweet heart and so damn cute but this is getting to be a hassle.

2. farmrbrown

farmrbrown nobody

Start with potty training as if it were a puppy with no idea what to do, because that's what she is at this point.
    There are people walking the earth that actually think dogs come out of the package already trained.
    These are the same people raising the next generation of kids.
    God help us all.:(

3. mnn2501

mnn2501 Dallas

Yeah, get it outside every few hours, praise the heck out of it when it goes outside.
    Poor dogs been in a crate for 2 1/2 years, it doesn't know how to be a good dog.
    You've gotta treat it like a puppy and train..train...train.

4. Prismseed

In the end I'm getting more training than she is. :confused:

She gets treats when she 'goes' on her walks, and going on and off her tie-out. Fair weather days she does fine, but on rainy days like today it happens more. We also slipped and left her in the other part of the house (we don't even let her in the room with the new couch) while the wife and I cuddled this morning.

Her 'asking' to go outside is when she could jump in my lap but instead stands and stares at me. Only works if I'm nearby and have an accessible lap. Tried the 'ring the bells hanging on the door' for a few months but it just didn't fly.

5. Alder

Alder Well-Known Member

Pugs are 4-legged diva's and not long on brains when compared to the rest of the doggy world. You have one who REALLY has been messed up, besides. Given her background, she may never bond well with you (or anyone), and seek your approval like a normal dog. You are going to have to think FOR her and anticipate her "needs". Keeping her isolated from the family (tie-out and gates) isn't an answer - she has to learn to communicate and follow house/pack rules....skills she missed out on before.

Like others have said, consider her a "slow" 8 week old puppy for as long as it takes.

6. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

We had a pug whom we loved dearly. He was always a dog we had to crate when left alone and later in life he started having accidents in earnest. Lots and lots. Turned out he had diabetes and spent the rest of his 15 years on prescription dog food and twice a day insulin shots.
    We still miss him. Sweetest dog but as Alder said, they aren't the brightest dogs.

7. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I have fostered a couple of puppy mill breeders. Spent their whole lives in a cage. Very difficult to housebreak.

I would start with looking at what you are feeding the dog. Low quality food will mean many more potty breaks. High quality food will equate to lesser potty breaks. I feed raw which equals even fewer potty breaks. You can go to www.dogfoodanalysis.com for a run down of dog foods. Any in the top 20 or 25 should be good. I have used Taste of the Wild because I can get it at Tractor Supply and seems to work well with the dogs I have had (on vacation, visiting, etc.). I add a little water to kibble because that way I make sure they are getting moisture with the food. Feed twice a day. Canned is fine and don't add water.

Feed her on a schedule. Schedule is very important because you are the one being trained. When you bring her outside in the morning, count how long it takes for her to finish peeing. Ten seconds here, four seconds there, two seconds just for fun. This totals 16 seconds. You get the picture. Once you know how long it takes for her to pee in the morning don't bring her inside until she is finished. If she pees again inside, you know that she needs a couple of more seconds and keep her out and running around until she is empty. As long as you are out there with her, use the time to teach her to follow you to a leg pat. Pat leg, call her, walk away, pat leg. When she runs after you, praise and treat. The more running she does, the faster she will empty.

Your dog may have a smaller than normal bladder. If so, she can't help it, she can't wait. Control her water intake. Measure water in the morning and put it in her water dish. Count the amount you put with her food. Next morning, measure how much is still there. This should be how much she needs in a day. Before leaving for the day, put just a little water in her dish. When you return, see how much is left. If she has not peed in the house, then you know that the amount you left was not too much. Put out more water. If you can dole out the water to match her bladder size you should find her suddenly housebroken.

Also, bitches spayed before 16 weeks of age can get incontinence when they get older. If she suddenly starts leaking when she is five or six or so, this is probably the problem.

8. Lisa in WA

Dogfoodanalysis is run by a human dentist and has no scientific data backing it up thier criteria about what even constitutes good and bad ingredients. A lot of what has become "conventional wisdom" about dog food in recent years (like grain free) is bunk that has been propagated by companies like Blue Buffalo who has admitted to lying about their ingredients.
    Best to get pet food advice from some place like Petdiets.com who is an actual vet with additional advanced degrees in animal nutrition or your own veterinarian.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  9. Skandi

Skandi Well-Known Member

We have one with a bladder of iron but she is terrible at asking to be let out, whereas my dog will whine or paw or beg, she just stands there and looks at you, and woe betide you if you try to get her out after she thinks it's bed time!
    As others have said out after food, out after play out after sleep, same as a puppy. You could also try getting her to go on command, my dog will, and even if she doesn't need to she'll squat and look at me! As a final resort I did know someone who had a litter tray for their dog. I don't think raw reduces wee trips (both of ours are on raw) it certainly reduces number 2 however.

10. fireweed farm

fireweed farm Well-Known Member

If multiple peeings is actually a medical condition rather than training issue, our vet has a prescription that helped my neighbors. Definitely worth looking at with the vet visit.

11. Prismseed

No accidents since OP. Rainy day; accident. Pugs are a stubborn breed and this one is to prissy and stubborn to get her paws wet so I'll be keeping her locked on the tile floor on bad weather days with occasional time out of the office on a leash.

Shes lucky she is so damn cute and lovable. :mad::oops::mad::oops:

farmrbrown likes this.
  12. Skandi

Skandi Well-Known Member

Ah yes, ours hates going out if it is raining! I think they don't like getting water on their faces as it runs up the nose.

13. Lisa in WA

14. Lisa in WA

For all the trouble he was, I wouldn't have given him up. He was a kind and intrepid pug and he was well loved for fifteen years. He still is well loved.