patch of something on my arm

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sparticle, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

I've been out in the woods more than usual and have either gotten into something or I've got a big patch of hives or a bite on my arm. I've had poison ivy about a billion times and if this is the beginning of a poison ivy outbreak, it'll be one of the worst I've ever had. I'm hoping it's something else because I don't want to pay the Dr. for a shot.

Anyway, the reason for my post. It's been uncomfortable for 2 days, but now it's hot, my arm's hot and my neck is hot. I'm drinking cool water (no ice) and have a cool rag on it. Is there anything I can do that you can think of to cool it off besides taking a bath? If I get any hotter that's what I'll do, I just hate to waste all that water but it's cheaper than turning the air on I guess. I really hope whatever it is, just goes away. I don't remember being bitten, but I do have scratches on my arm that I don't remember getting either. So, that's not saying much. I was really carefull about walking through first with my spider stick to move them before I cut the path. I've done everything I can to make sure I have never intentionally killed one. Maybe I could have been bitten if one ran up my stick instead of going on the vegetation I thought I put them on.

So, what do you think will cool my arm off since this cool rag isn't doing much? Maybe vinegar?

2. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    qntmphysics, the heat most likely means you have an infection. please call your doctor.

3. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

Are you sure those are scratches and not the red streaks you get sometimes from bites or from infections??? That usually means something potentially serious.

I would say a good oatmeal soak and a rag soaked in vinegar. If you don't want to take an entire bath, then soak the arm.

Salt water or epson salts soak is sometimes good also, for soaking.

4. Sparticle

Thanks, yeah they are scratches. They have scabs on them. I look "real good" today :nerd:

Not feeling too well, gonna shut down and try the arm soak. Good night.

5. suburbanite

If anyone knows this guy in real life, please phone him and do what you can to make him go to the doctor. Especially if he's 'not feeling well', that can indicate a systemic response--he could have what some folks call 'blood poisoning'.

(sic: may be going septic/risk of shock.)

6. KindredSpirit

KindredSpirit Well-Known Member

I really think you should see a doctor, but if you aren't going to do that could you post a pic? Maybe someone here will recognize what it is :shrug:

7. suburbanite

I think he's logged off for the night. Hope he doesn't wake up dead. :eek:

Add:

physics, if log back on and you read this, answer for yourself--

do you have a fever?
    is your pulse racing?
    what kinds of symptoms did you mean when you said you weren't feeling 'well'?

a picture would be helpful, but even more helpful would be getting your leetle hiney to a real live doctor.

If you have cellulitis (a diffuse infection of those scratches rather than the kind that makes an abscess), or if you are getting an abscess--either one-- that is giving you whole-body symptoms like a fever, racing pulse, or feeling of unwellness or weakness or headache, you could be starting to get a body-wide infection spreading from the 'rash'. When that happens your blood pressure can crash and you can go from cogent to dead in a pretty short amount of time.

Spider bites are a fairly common way for people to get nasty infections, so even if that is what started your problem...anyway, nobody can diagnose you on the web, but the story you've told so far is pretty scary.

8. Windy_jem

Windy_jem Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh geez...I hope he's ok!

9. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm posting this because I know "she" is a very sharp young lady ~ just to put your minds' at ease! If she wakes up and it isn't any better, she will go to the DR., right? PM me if you need me, girl!

10. KindredSpirit

Sorry, I had to laugh. Isn't this an oxymoron? :p

11. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I got a wasp sting a couple weeks ago and as soon as I came in from out of doors I rubbed some tea tree oil on it. It quit stinging or itching almost immediately. that might help releive some discomfort, but if it's hot and spreading, if you have a fever with it, and not feeling well....seek emergency attention as soon as possible!

12. suburbanite

Kindred, I was trying to make light of my fears for her, but yes, it is.

13. KindredSpirit

Yes, I know, I do think she needs to see the doctor also. It's late and I am tired so I just thought that one part was kind of funny. (in a gee, it's late and I am tired way!) Didn't mean to offend. :)

14. suburbanite

No offense taken. I should have :)'d my post. :) But then someone might have taken it as gladness for the bad situation,so it could be confused either way.

15. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Please post soon this am...
    you have us worried..

16. titansrunfarm

titansrunfarm The Awesome PT & Friends

I had a wasp sting on my forearm earlier this year that progressed to cellulitis all the way up my arm to my shoulder, tried to treat it topically myself but got worried when my fingers got cold and numb and the rest of the arm was swollen huge, hot as fire and really sore. Ended up having to take antibiotics and prednisone for it. Please have a doc check you out if you still have a lot of heat in that arm, cellulitis hurts.

17. Sparticle

good morning. thanks for all the concern. Thanks Hilltop for letting everyone know I'm a girl. I guess I posted my picture on teh "what do you look like thread" so late no one saw it.

anyway, slept late this morning by over an hour (not normal) and this thing is much bigger. I responded to a PM first thing this morning and updated her, but since then I've started sweating and my arm is achy and itchy. Going to feed all the animals and go to the Dr. But, I think sweating is good. My neck isn't hot like it was last night, but from the arm pit down to my wrist is still hot. This thing now wraps just around the bone in my forearm, but it's not completely wrapped around. It's raised probably 1/2 inch now and 2 inches bigger than last night.

Someone at work yesterday said something about cellulitis re: a spot on my leg because I always have bites on me but this one spot feels bruised. I saw someone posted about that, so it's not out of the question.

I did that soak for 20 min last night and it really cooled me down so that I could sleep. I'll update y'all and sorry for the scare. I didn't mean to do that. I was just so tired.

18. holleegee

holleegee Well-Known Member

Please update us when you get back from the dr.
    Take care!

19. wvpeach1963

wvpeach1963 WVPEACH (Paula)

Benedryl Generic will work to help take out the inflamation.

20. chris30523

chris30523 Well-Known Member

I am glad you are going to a Dr..If it is blood poisioning It would only get worse and you could loose your arm..Not to scare you but I know a guy who had a simple scrape on his elbow and waited too long he ended up spending a week in the hospital loosing his arm..There are times to self Dr. and times not to .Infections are potentially life threatning and need to be treated as such!!!