Pasturized eggs?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Beeman, Nov 23, 2003.

1. Beeman

Beeman Well-Known Member

Saw an egg carton at the store today advertising pasturized eggs. it said they were bacteria free so you could eat eggs sunnyside up and eat them raw if you wanted. How do you pasturize an egg?

2. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

The info section at www.safeeggs.com says the eggs are submerged in an "ultra-clean" warm water bath (no mention of temperature) that is calibrated based on the size of the eggs and left there until it reaches the point when the salmonella is killed but the egg is not cooked. Then the eggs are candled, then coated with a food grade wax to keep any new contaminants out. I think I'll stick to my homegrown eggs, which I would probably feel comfortable eating raw.

3. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Pasturiezed eggs??!!!!!! LOL!! My goodness.. I've had THAT for years!!! Just have free range chickens and wa la!! :D (get it? PASTURE 'ized'.. okay.. it was lame, I know :):)

4. Willow_Raindancer

Willow_Raindancer New Member

I've heard of these :rolleyes:
    The whole idea seems a bit dodgy to me. :eek:

5. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

Yes, and I presume you then hold them up in front of you and move them from one side to the other.....

.....past your eyes?

6. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

Good one chickflick and Don! :p I like your ideas better than theirs!

I have to say, to me this pasteurization idea is gross and another miscarriage of food handling safety. As far as I'm concerned this suggests filthy food handling processes the same as meat being irradiated because of filthy handling processes. Yuk...! Small family owned farms don't have the unsanitary conditions that factory farms have and the food is much safer.

After the eggs are "pasteurized" they're coated with food grade wax, petroleum based perhaps? The good news is they'll be stamped with a red "P" in a red circle and you'll be able to spot them right away.

All the emblem needs is the red slash through the circle to go with it and not stamped on the eggs as it's probably petroleum based and might leach into the eggs. Warning, Warning... Gag... Bigger Gag!.... BARF!!!

I believe these pasteurized eggs are being processed in this way for shelf life. As for myself I'd rather pay a buck or two more a dozen and get fresh organic or certified organic eggs that haven't been put through bath water and waxed. They have the natural bloom that I wash off when I'm ready to cook them.

What would be even better is if I had a place in the country so I could have my own chickens and my eggs woud be pasture - ized, or past your (and my) eyes and into my belly. :cool: