Pastured pigs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Jena, Feb 26, 2004.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if the damage to pasture can be minimized by running a few pigs in a large area? Does anyone know what a large area, per pig, would be?

What I'd really like to do is run hogs behind my cows in the rotational grazing, but that would require lots of refencing. I only use one hot wire for the cows and I'm sure I would have to add one more for the hogs.

Since I can't really do what I want, I'm thinking if I can fence one paddock for pigs. I have some really marginal pasture that is mostly woods. I'm thinking maybe hogs would enjoy that and put that land to better use.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks
    Jena

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Pigs will tear sod out by the roots unless you put rings in their noses. They will root up chuck holes ruining the pasture. Most people used to run their pigs on pasture but they made sure they had them rung by weaning time. If one lost his ring you soon knew it just lookin at the field.
    They will require less grain per pound of gain on pasture, especialy if it's legumes.

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

My pigs are in pens as opposed to pasture but I rotate the pens or provide large ones. They rearrange the topography in short order. A couple of miles away someone has a few pigs on what looks to be about an acre and all the grass is gone and it disappeared quickly. Once the grass is gone, the trees begin to get uprooted. It takes longer for the trees but it seems like the roots are tasty treats and it is only a matter of time- we have a bunch of myrtles that I don't mind losing though so it has been helpful in that sense. I think a dedicated pasture will be ruined eventually but at least it is dedicated. I don't know if rotating them with other animals would be a good idea for the other animals. Pigs create all sorts of hazards.

4. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

Jena
    They will respect a hot wire if you start them young. You will need to ring them first but thats not a big deal. If you dont they will rearange the landscape in short order.Pigs on pasture with a self feeder are happy campers :) If those cows are getting some grain those pigs will be very happy to recycle any that goes thru whole. We always ran pigs behind steers in the lot and they needed very little extra feed. The big prob. with cattle and hogs together is sudorabies I would check with the vet on this as it has been awhile since I have run them together!!!!
    Mr. Wanda
    Mike