Pastured Boars

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Rob30, Nov 18, 2005.

1. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

What do you guys do with the boar on a pastured system? Do they just run with the herd? How do they react to the piglets? I have begun to pasture my pigs. And will group house them in winter. Do I have to lock thr boar up seperatly?

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

Mine run free and intact in the pasture. Years ago I culled them for behavior. If a boar attacks a sow or a piglet, that's just his way of asking for a dinner invitation.

3. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Hi Rob,
    I now have too many sows to have the boar running with them all the time but back in the days when I only had a couple of sows, the boar ran with them on pasture. There were no problems and they left the lactating sows and piglets alone. One of my funniest memories is seeing the boar walk down the paddock with a string of 10 little piglets behind him. Mum was nowhere in sight and he was obviously on baby-sitting duty :)

I'm not sure about group housing in the winter though. A confined area and boredom may make for problems and it could be a good idea to be prepared to separate the boar if needs be. Sometimes in these situations you have to experiment a bit as much depends on the circumstances and the nature of the pigs.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

4. highlands

highlands Well-Known Member

Our boar stays with the herd year round. We keep all ages together. When the sows farrow they go out into the brush and then return a few days later with piglets in tow. The boar is gentle with the sows, growers, young boars and piglets. Often the little ones can be found around his feet or sleeping on top of him.

We cull any animals that are mean - just call the mean 'uns stew. :)

5. Rob30

Rob30 Well-Known Member Supporter

I will think I will try the boar with everyone in 5 weeks or so, when I plan on weaning the piglets anyway. Next time everyone will stay together. Right now my barn is not set up for group housing, but will be in the next few weeks.
    I found one piglet has a hernia. He might be a chalenge to castrate. Anyone done this before? I have read that the potential for cutting the bowel is high.