Pasture Seed Mix

Discussion in 'Goats' started by moosemaniac, Apr 5, 2005.

1. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend a good pasture reseeding mix. I live in Northern Pennsylvania, near Lake Erie.

Ruth

2. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Call your local extension agent and talk with them.

3. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Wouldn't it depend on what you plan to graze there? TSC had several different seed mixes, and I chose the one for horses. I have sheep and goats, and plan on getting a pony this year, so I frost seeded 2 pastures with this.

4. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

You can use good local hay (with lots of seed heads) to seed with as well as the chaff on barn floor.
    If I had to buy seed I would go with a deer feed plot mixture.

I have had super results just using the hay....in fact if you feed them in the pasture in a blue tote from walmart and dump out when they are done and just keep moving around on sunny dry days you'll be amazed at what you get!

5. moosemaniac

moosemaniac Well-Known Member

Okay...so first, I'm a Master Gardener, so I checked with the extension office. They don't have a clue about goats. Secondly, since I'm in the goat forum, you can safely assume I plan to graze, well, goats. What I'm looking for are specific seedings..ie red clover, etc. What mixes work for you guys and in what portions per seed?
    Ruth

6. Oceanrose

Oceanrose Driftin' Away

Hi Ruth,

Check with your local co-op. In Minnesota, when I worked at a feed store, we sold co-op mixes formulated for this county. I know our pasture mix was clover, fescue, and ummm orchard grass? Been a few years.

I'm overseeding with a pasture mix from the co-op this year mixed with a sunny mix. I know the people who used the co-op stuff were always really happy. Here Bluegrass does NOT do well, but that's what all the landscapers use. It does look pretty the first year.

7. FrogPond

FrogPond Entremanure

Ruth;
    Sorry if I am telling you something you already know, but you asked...
    1) Goats prefer to browse, not graze. Sheep and cattle graze, but goats prefer eating with their head up... woody plants, vines, trees, and the like. So the pasture mix may not be so critical to them. Just try to get them on browse, playing to the character of the creature.
    2) If your extension office is no help, find the nice, old, local grain elevator. They will have a pasture mix or two already done up and proven in the area. Plan on leaning on the counter for a while and listening to a couple old stories, then buy what they have mixed up locally. This is the key: local mix! My guess is it will be something like alfalfa, ladino clover, red clover, timothy, etc. Just go for the local mix! (Make sure you have legumes in the mix, they will help build the soil.)

Good luck!

8. eggladyj

eggladyj Well-Known Member

Hey Ruth!

Have you looked over at Fiasco Farm yet? I'm certain that I saw a pasture mix recipe or at least the types of seed you would want to mix for one. Been thinking about this myself, just gotta get some land cleared first, ugh always something!

Jeannine