Pasture Seed Dated Jan 04 - Is it Good?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by BJ, Jan 30, 2005.

1. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

Our local farm store is selling last years pasture seeds (lespedeza, brome, clover, mixed grasses, etc.) from Tri-Star Seeds that has a tag showing a date of January 2004. This seed does NOT have a discounted price....same price as it was last spring. Most of this seed remained on pallets all year inside the store. Is this seed good and will it germinate properly or will the germination rate be low? We don't know whether to take a chance on it or not. We want to overseed our pastures in Feb/Mar and the stores around here don't know when they will receive their spring 05 pasture seed order. We've called Tri-Star in Kansas and unfortunately they will not sell bulk seed to anyone but wholesalers. What do you need to be a wholesaler? How can a small farmer get a break on seed prices? :confused:

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Best way to find out is to do a germination test. Will they let you have a small sample to test?

3. BJ

BJ Well-Known Member

I can't see them giving me samples...everything they have is in 50 lb bags.

4. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

That sounds like kind of a sour deal. Might ask for a discount?

5. ravenstark

ravenstark Member

I'd ask for a discount because there is an element of risk involved. Most likely though, it will have gone from something like 98% germination to 90%. I'm just guesstimating.

The local Tractor supply last year discounted year old annual rye grass so we tried it this fall and it did fine. Then one of the cows broke into the workshop where we had it stored and ate what was left. The cow is fine but I've got a lot of ryegrass in the garden now;) Seed is fairly durable.

Also I have several bags of 3 year old clovers and alfalfa which still seem to sprout fine. However, they don't grow well, but I think that's because they aren't well suited to central Florida--hot wet summers, warm dry winters and practically no natural organic matter or fertility in the beach sand, er soil.