Pasture rehab...ROOTS!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jackie c, Nov 15, 2004.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

What kind of equipment is needed for renovating an overgrown pasture. (overegrown with willow and alders) The brush is fairly mature, meaning big root masses. I have a neighbour with a tractor, but he has no implements other than an old brush hog, cuts about 1 1/2 diameter sticks. What should I beg borrow or buy that will pull out, break up or other wise deal with these root masses. The feild is about five acres.

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

If the tractor has enough power, you could use a chain wrapped around near the bottom of the brush and yank is out with roots and all. Mound it up after that to dry and burn in the spring. People have told me to get goats to reduce woody brush including willows, but that means fencing also.
    I have a similar situation is areas to partially clear pasture of willows. The alders are in areas too wet for pasture, so I won't bother there.

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

That's not an easy job. If you bush hog everything you can, the take a chain saw and cut the bigger stuff off at ground level then burn the brush. You would have it to where it could be disced up and sown to grass seed. The brush will all sprout back up in the spring. If you have cattle to graze it they would keep the brush pretty well mowed down. Or you could use a broad leaf herbicide on it.
    If the larger stuff isn't much over 4 inches it could be pulled out with a medium sized tractor. Lots of work. A dozer with a root rake would be pretty good but not cheap.

4. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

To put the land into production promptly use a big disc plow behind a dozer. Plow the property serveral times and then plant to a cover crop and keep it brush hogged. If the disc plow is big and heavy enough it will cut the brush and roots into pieces that will rot readily.

5. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

'Here' willow is a substanial tree if it is full grown, like a 2 foot trunk. I'm not sure just how overgorwn your pasture really is...

Anything over 4 inch trunk diameter is _not_ an easy thing to deal with a farm tractor. I would not want to risk anyone else doing it - tho it can be done if you gain some experience - it takes time & has some safety issues. It is _much_ easier to pull out a trunk or tree 6' tall rather than a cut off stump 1' or shorter....

A bulldozer or excivator is the tool you really want. For large stumps, the bulldozer prefers taller stumps as well....

You can cut all the big stuff away with a chainsaw, pull the little stuff, plant grass seed, and if you keep the bigger stumps from sprouting (herbicide, fire, or critters eating it off clean) it will rot away in 3-5 years and then you can relevel & plant those spots.

Kind of the options you have.

--->Paul