Pasture Raising Rabbits

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by greenTgoats, Jul 14, 2017.

1. greenTgoats

greenTgoats Well-Known Member

What are your thoughts on raising rabbits on pasture?

2. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

A lot of people do it, a lot like it, a lot don't. Gotta build the pen to where there is no escape. I personally would not---but that's me. I like mine being in cages, control breeding, being able to check on the new born, etc. I have been raising rabbits a long time----and none of the ones I have raised have ever set foot on the dirt.

greenTgoats likes this.

3. ed/La

ed/La Well-Known Member

Our rabbits are free to run, No fence. They are just pets. We have predators but they have been loose for years and survive. Several good hiding spots with escape points. They come to me for food and treats but do not want to be petted.

greenTgoats likes this.
  4. Marinea

Marinea Well-Known Member

This.

greenTgoats likes this.
  5. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

Has a lot of benefits. We have some free range and others in rabbit hutches for breeding

greenTgoats likes this.
  6. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Its good you can do that. If I did the rabbits probably would not last a day after turning them out to free-range.

greenTgoats likes this.
  7. FCLady

FCLady Well-Known Member

We keep ours in cages for the most part. I have a rabbit tractor that I put "meat pens" in through the day and back in their cage at night. They are great little mowers and fertilizers. : ) We move them several times a day. We have a separate garden that I grow animal feed in. They ALL get greens/weeds from the garden every day. I can still stay in control of the breeding, weights, and we have very little sickness. I also have other animals that run the pasture so I don't want little ones being stepped on, eating the pasture down to nothing or digging holes for the sheep to trip in.

greenTgoats likes this.
  8. a7736100

a7736100 Well-Known Member

Free range is OK if you don't mind all the digging. Regular lawn grasses will be slowly destroyed and you may have tunnels collapse under your feet. It's also very hard to harvest them because they were not handled as kits so you have to trap them.

9. ShannonR

ShannonR hillbilly farmgirl

I had a neighbor once who did this..,,. bunny hugger lady didn't want them confined. They got into my garden, roamed my backyard, made the dogs bark constantly. It was a real annoyance. This was within city limits, not a rural place.

I have personally seen what free roaming rabbits do, like build dens underneath buildings and undermine the foundations....chew stuff, multiply freely so their offspring cause problems too.:mad:

10. ed/La

ed/La Well-Known Member

We do not have that problem. If they became issue we would do something different. We enjoy their company and they cause no problems. The few neighbors we have like then, all good.