pasture pigs w/ goats and chickens

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by okiemom, Oct 2, 2006.

1. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

Who raises their pigs in pasture along w/ other animals? i am wanting to get into 3 Berkshire pigs for feeders and want to keep them in pasture w/ the goats.

I have had smaller pbx hamp pigs together w/ goats and chickens and they did great. just wondering about Berks. I have heard they are fairly docile.

50bl weaners should be at butchering age in 4-5 months?

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I no longer think there is one answer for this sort of question. I've seen both sides of the coin, in my own place w/ my own pigs. Currently my pigs aren't interested in killing the other animals that reside here. Because of this I allow the chickens, guineas, and duck (just one) to enter their area and pick up what they leave. I've had pigs kill anything that wanders into their area before though. I was allowing my pigs free range until one was attacked by a pit bull. Now I keep the sow penned but she used to free range with my goats. Her gilts still free range part of the time. (I pen the sow because the gilts will stay by the house if the mom stays)

The dangerous time for your situation would be when goats are kidding. If the Berks seem to get along well, they probably would get along most of the time. I would not trust them around the goats when kidding or around newborn goats. That is asking a lot of a pig, unless that pig is quite special, which could be the case with yours.

3. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Rule 1 - Pigs are omnivorous

Rule 2 - Pigs are generally not aggressive unless hungry.

Rule 3 - Individual animals may break rule 2

4. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

You should be fine, but as Bill cleverly put it, I would perhaps be a little worried about the odd missing chicken. The goats would probably do more harm to the pigs than the other way around. It's worth trying and a good combination for the health of your pasture if they can get along. A big enough pasture will go a long way to ensuring peace amongst the inhabitants!

5. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

A followup on what John said... If the pigs do happen to eat a chicken or two, unless you see it happen you'll probably not know other than that you have a chicken or two missing - the pigs will leave no evidence for you to convict them with....

6. bbbuddy

bbbuddy Well-Known Member

I think this is one of the best things about the pbp's for homesteaders. (Not pig farmers, of course.)
    But for raising your own pork, the pbp's seem ideal. They were bred as smallholders pigs, and in Asia I doubt they were fenced, just bred to be nice and easygoing while wandering around loose.
    My pbp's are so nice the chickens peck food out of the pig's food pans while the pigs are eating, and they don't care a bit.

My male pbp wanders around loose and now thinks he's a horse, and has taken up residence with them :) . Even sleeps in their shelter right under their legs. Braver than I am!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. PlowGirl

PlowGirl Well-Known Member

My goats, chickens, dogs, cats all venture into the pig paddocks. Some occasionally, some constantly. The only time I had a pig kill anything other than the occasional possum, (which smelled like the dog food it had just been found in), was 2 newborn goat kids. Only their heads were eaten, the pigs wouldn't even touch the rest of the carcass. The kids of course had "milk breath", which is absolutely the most favorite of porcine things.

8. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

I loved my PBx. They were bigger but not too big. I got fairly attached to them and could not butcher them myself. When I became down w/ my bad back I gave them to a woman who wanted pets. Now I want to just have feeders for a short while. I might get back into the PBx again.

Tabletop Homestead is who I got my original pigs form. I hope to work w/ her again when I get some breeders. Her pigs were really nice size and were not agressive.I would have liked them to be just slightly bigger. Breeding up just a tad to 200-250 adult size.

9. bbbuddy

bbbuddy Well-Known Member

Okiemom we got a feeder pig this spring, and man did she get agressive! I had no trouble at all shooting her, and eating her. What a difference between her and the potbellies! And treated the same way, so it had to be the genetics....
    No matter how nice the pbp's are, we got them to raise our own food, so I won't name the babies.