Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Silly question from a want-to-be rancher.

My future homestead is 20 acres and next to a river. While it is fenced on 3 sides already, it's open on the river side. It is fenced to the rivers edge. The river bank is about 10' high but there is 6 old washes that deer and other wildlife use right now. At one time it was just a hay field.

During the early hours of the day. The water level is roughly 6" to 1' deep. Once they start releasing water and generating electricity up the river. The water level raises close to 4'.

So during the early hours of the day, I can't think of anything to keep the cattle from walking around the fence, while getting a drink of water. Any ideas what I can do?

Attached is a Google Earth photo of the property. The dark line that runs from 12 o'clock to 9 o'clock, is a dry creek. Thinking of making a small pond around that area. I have a buddy that has a small bulldozer and he's ready to try building a pond but rather let the cattle drink out of the river if possible.

Thanks.

·
Registered
786 Posts
This is just me, but I'd not be wanting my cattle (dairy here) to drink out of a river. Especially if there's runoff from any ag fields upstream, or if any kind of other chemicals could be in there from time to time.
Besides, the cattle will tear up muddy banks, causing more erosion and this can put the kibosh on your fence posts, etc. A pond would be on your property and therefore you'd have better water quality.
Just free advice, worth what you paid for it :)

·
Premium Member
11,554 Posts
When you start digging ponds on river banks, and have livestock running in and out of the river causing erosion, and defecating in the water, ABC agencies tend to start asking questions. Around here, people call if they see a pig in the creek and the DNR will show up..

Check local laws, especially concerning digging that pond...

·
I calls em like I sees em
14,058 Posts
I would fence them out of the river. Cattle will tear up the banks, especially with the water rise and fall you described. When they plow thru the mud at "low tide" it won't be pretty and will degrade the water quality. And it will be a constant battle to keep them from wandering off from that escape point. Whoever said the grass is greener on the other side was talking about cattle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts