Pasture Liming/Frost Seeding

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moonwolf, Jan 10, 2005.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I've gotten some good informtion from this site about frost seeding.
    Thank you to all that have such great wisdom.

About broadcasing lime? Seems that is a good idea, well especially our soil is on the acid side and it is also clay. The pasture thats going to hell in a handbasket is proabably worth saving with the idea of frost seeding legume and clovers, maybe a type of orchard grass? to redevelop a decent pasture for cattle mainly.

So the quesions are this. It's about 25 acres, mostly sloped so washing away is a consideration if not tilling. I won't till or plow at this time, or probably any other time so maybe some other idea is better to consider.
    But, say that I want to apply lime. Is there different strengths or grades of agricultural lime to apply? How much is needed, and what way is there to apply it manually?
    How long after liming is it good to frost seed? The ground frost here stays well into May.

thanks.

2. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

where in canada are ya? might be better to get rock phosphate depending on your soil test . can also get lime from water treatment plants. buddy near sudbury was going this route when he can find some lime. just spread with manure spreader . jd made a lime spreading attach ment for their spreaders40/50 's commercial spreaders here use side slingers.nother idea is to feed some seed to the animals and they deposit it in the field . knocked around with a harrow it is prefertilized(not sheep or goats to good a digestive system)

3. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

You should test your ground to get a handle on how much lime is needed. We have limestone quarries down in this area, and Ag lime is spread on the ground with spreader trucks when needed. Ordinarily from one to three tons per acre are recomended. It has to be transported to the farm by truck, and makes sense to have the same truck to spread it. While the ground is frozen is a good time as its possible to get over the ground without cutting it up. Check with your local seed and fertilizer dealer to get suggestions on the best pasture mix to frost seed. Grass seed is very light and won't sling out from a grass seeder like the round and heavier legumes.
    In the Soo area, I've seen many farmers work the ground whenever it gets dried out enough and drill medium red clover and timothy with oats as a cover crop. This took place in June on different years that I was there. That was cut for hay until the clover ran out, and then was patured.

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

...and don't just topdress your lime. Make sure that you work it into the top 6 to 9 inches of soil. The pH neutralizing affect of lime does not leach down into the soil, it has to be worked in to be effective.

5. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Here in NC the acidic soil requires a lot of lime to get the ph up to where the pastures are productive. Lime application is not less than a 5 year cycle. I lime on a 3 year cycle. I try to keep the ph from 5.8 to 6.2. Lime requirements need to be anticipated as it takes up to 6 months for the lime to become available to the crop. Applying lime is an economical approach to saving money as the fertilizer is better utilized. Fertilizer at $300 per ton and lime at $22 per ton applied lets you get a lot more benefit from the expensive fertilizer.