Pasture grasses?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sisterpine, Oct 7, 2004.

1. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Greetings from Montana! We live at 7000 feet on a mountain in southwest montana. We have a bit of a micro climate situation here ( in winter when it is -20 in town it is usually above zero here etc) i am slowly clearing this heavily forested land and would like to get some grasses going for possible future pasture areas. What grasses/pasture stuff can i grow around the fruit trees and pine trees that could be mowed down in the summer (fire danger) or used as pasture for visiting livestock? many thanks in advance!

2. opus

opus Well-Known Member

Greetings fellow Montanan! I would do orchardgrass and maybe some broome, timothy, ryegrass, maybe a touch of ladino clover. Any of those should work fine as well as fill in when the other is slow coming. Or you could just wait and let the knapweed come. :)

3. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Just don't what the new citidiots here did. They loved their lawn in L.A. so much they brought some sod from it with them and planted it. Well that species also contained some grasses considered noxious weeds in South Dakota so the county sprayed it, then removed it … at their expense.

CITY FOLKS Gezzzz :haha:

4. Allan Mistler

Allan Mistler Just a simple man

Sisterpine,
    This past winter and spring I spent almost all my time cutting out about three acres of trees to provide pasture for my animals. It's a pretty boney piece of land with lots of rocks and stumps with alot of pine needles still laying about from the previous occupants. I spread some lime, 10-10-10 and a Timothy/Clover mix early last month in hopes of preventing any erosion come spring rains. I was told to use this specific blend of seed due to the fact that, since I can't cultivate the pasture due to all the obstacles, I should use a seed that will germinate and root even without cultivation. Well, I have to admit that grain store clerk knows her stuff... I've already got an incredible amount of growth out there, and it looks like spring it's so green!
    All that to recommend that you consider the resources of your local feed store, they'll know what does best in your area under whatever restrictions you'll be planting the pasture grass. Good luck!